Zales The Diamond Store  » Jewelry  »
5900 N Port Washington Rd Glendale WI 53217
  • All the rings I found that I had a slight interest in were sold as is and when I checked the pricing, weight and quality I was not impressed
  • After my disappointing experiences with chains located in malls I think I will stick to Kesslers or an independent jeweler who can offer much better variety and higher quality

• by cmurray081981

I entered Zale’s The Diamond Store by myself the other day to browse engagement rings. The store is located in Bayshore Town Center Mall in Glendale, WI.

What’s nice about the store is that it’s very easy to find. Though the mall has a combination of outdoor and indoor stores, this location could be accessed either way and was very close to the flagship Boston Store location. I also really liked that the store was full of windows that allowed a lot of natural light in, which is important for gauging how well a diamond will sparkle. Finally, the cases of jewels were well organized and the store was not at all cluttered. I liked that the engagement rings were located in a corner away from the other jewelry. I have found that sometimes it seems like you’re always trying to walk around someone else or not able to see the entire selection of rings because other people who are shopping are in your way.

I was greeted and offered assistance right away, which I also appreciated because I was by myself. I’ve found that other places I visited on my own either did not take me seriously or decided they were wasting their time on me since my fiance obviously was not there to foot the bill. What they’ve failed to realize is that if I find something I really like and get good service I’ll be sure to bring him back to purchase the ring.

However, what was lacking with the jewelry store selection was quality, variety and uniqueness. There were only 4 cases of rings to choose from, both sold as is and settings only. At Kesslers Diamond Center the entire center section of the store consists of engagement rings, probably equaling 15 cases total. While the salesperson was polite and personable, she really did not seem to take my tastes into account. I told her I liked vintage styles and solitaires with side accents with a ...

• center stone of 0.75 or 1 carat weight. She then suggested I get a plain solitaire ring and purchase a surround for it that would add the diamond accents. I hated the appearance, and frankly the ring looked cheap. Why would I want to buy a ring without any accents and then purchase another set of rings to add them when I could just purchase a nicer ring with diamond accents on the band itself? It was a very strange suggestion.

All the rings I found that I had a slight interest in were sold as is and when I checked the pricing, weight and quality I was not impressed. The rings were fairly cheap in price, most under $3,000. The stones were also mostly below 0.75 carats and consisted of diamonds with a rating of I1-I2, meaning the stone has flaws noticeable to the naked eye. This is one of the lowest grades of quality for the clarity of a diamond. I would much

prefer a better quality stone on a ring that I plan to have for many years. I also found that most rings I was drawn to were available at every other store I looked at, and one thing I’m adamant about is that I don’t want to find a ring that’s very common and anyone else could also have.

When I did not find anything to my taste she suggested that I wait a week and come back to some special event in which the store brings in extra settings and diamonds and you can design your own. Frankly, if they did not have high quality stones available in the store right then, I couldn’t imagine how high of quality they would bring in a week later. I declined the opportunity and will continue to shop around. After my disappointing experiences with chains located in malls I think I will stick to Kesslers or an independent jeweler who can offer much better variety and higher quality.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4522061581160730/k2311a0622/6.22.12