Jared The Galleria of Jewelry  » Jewelry  »
16070 W Bluemound Rd Brookfield WI 53005
  • After seeing commercials for Jared the Galleria of Jewelry specifically featuring engagement rings I thought we should head to the closest location and view the rings in person
  • As opposed to the warm and friendly experience we had at Kesslers Diamonds the experience at Jared was a bit awkward and uncomfortable
  • Both settings were very similar in price and we knew our quoted cost was for the setting only but it would be nice to have the information given to use for reference

• by cmurray081981

I wasn’t sure exactly where I would end up selecting an engagement ring from but I knew I wanted to shop around and see a variety of rings before making a big decision. After seeing commercials for Jared the Galleria of Jewelry specifically featuring engagement rings I thought we should head to the closest location and view the rings in person.

We were greeted immediately upon our arrival and asked to wait for a minute or two so that the host could get the diamond expert. We were greeted by a very well dressed man in a suit and tie and he offered to get us something to drink right away. He directed us into a separate room to view information on the 4 Cs of diamonds on a computer screen so we could make an educated decision about the diamond we would be selecting. I thought this was a bit strange. I can easily view that information online on my own time and would imagine anyone shopping for a big ticket item would do their own due diligence. I’m at the jewelry store to look at and try on rings in person. The process only took a few extra minutes so we just listened patiently.

He also informed us that Jared has an in house lab. If we selected a ring that needed to be resized or to set a diamond in most cases they could complete this in about 2 hours. That was music to my ears since I obviously would prefer to be wearing my ring sooner rather than later. However, most sizes seemed to be between 6.5 and 7.0 and he said if they had to resize down by more than one full size it would mean

they would not be able to do a quality job and would need to special order the ring. I measured in at a 5.5 so depending on what was in stock I might have had to wait anyway.

After the computer tutorial was done our salesperson brought us back to the floor to view and try on rings. As opposed to the warm and friendly experience we had at Kesslers Diamonds the experience at Jared was a bit awkward and uncomfortable. The salesperson asked me what kind of ring I was interested in but didn’t offer any suggestions at all. He just sat there and watched me look at rings in each display case and only spoke when I asked to view a ring or try it on. I felt very uncomfortable since I felt I was being stared at and that he was feeling impatient. I would ask to try a ring, he would give it to me and when I put it in and looked at it he would say nothing.

When I was done looking at rings in each and every section I had to awkwardly say I didn’t see anything more I liked and we just kept moving case by case until we got to the settings only. I said it was difficult for me to get a mental picture of what the rings would look like without a diamond in them and then had to ask if he would put a loose stone in the settings I was interested in. I worked in sales for a few years and frankly if a customer told me they had trouble visualizing the product I was trying to sell them I would have offered to do all I could ...

• to help them view what they would get as a finished product. Hypothetically we could be spending between five and ten thousand dollars there so I would think that if he wanted a commission on that sale he would do all he could to increase the likelihood of a sale happening.

I narrowed down my search to two settings which would mean we would select the loose diamond. I actually prefer to pick just the setting so that we know we can pick a diamond with the clarity and color we want. I want this ring to last forever so I certainly don’t want a diamond with a lot of flaws or lacking color and sparkle.

Conversely, one ring I selected had a round center stone with pear shaped diamond accents. He informed us that they could resize the ring for me but due to the shape of the setting the finished ring would resemble an oval and not a circle. My fiancee was hesitant to accept this and thought that meant I would notice the ring was misshapen but the salesperson informed us it would not be noticeable. I don’t think he did much to dissuade my fiancee from his first impression.

When we finished up the search the salesperson simply wrote down the styles of the two settings and gave my fiancee his card. I still don’t remember what his name was. He didn’t write down the information for us or provide us with the pricing but he did mention it out loud. Both settings were very similar in price and we knew our quoted cost was for the setting only but it would be nice to have the information given to use for reference. I also would have

liked it if he would email us pictures of the settings for comparison or to show friends and family so I could get their opinion. At Kesslers they did this for us without us even having to ask.

My boyfriend wanted to look at the Tag Heuer watches before we finished up so we made our way over to that counter. We looked for a few minutes more before the same salesperson approached us again and was much more personable for some reason. I wondered why he wasn’t acting more friendly towards us before when we were looking at a big ticket item we would certainly purchase. I don’t think we were in the market for both a high end watch and ring. We chatted a few minutes more and left the store.

My fiancee mentioned later after I told him how uncomfortable the experience felt for me that he noticed there was another couple in the store looking at rings and he assumed our salesperson was getting anxious since he would have to assist them too. I said I could understand that but if he needed to excuse himself to greet them or get them started I would have been more than happy to let him do that. Sometimes it’s nice to have a minute to yourself to discuss a few things without someone staring you down anyway. Nonetheless it was a strange experience at a store that both of us were apprehensive about in terms of quality and service. I’ll keep them in mind since I did like one of their settings, but frankly if I see the same one in a store offering better customer service I’d be more inclined to purchase from them with all other things being equal.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4521061581020730/k2311a0621/6.21.12