AVS Video Converter  » Software  »
1.5
  • I know what each tab contains and what the features hold without having to click on the tabs and read the description
  • While converting, I noticed that the AVS took up a lot of system resources
  • The next problem I have faced is unmatched audio and video
  • This software is decent, but I do not recommend it

• by MisterTickle

The AVS Video Converter costs $39.99 and is downloaded via the official website. The set up file is actually pretty small at only a few megabytes. The real question to ask is how big is the file after installing? Don’t worry, the actual program isn’t that big at all. It takes up only 63 MB give or take depending on which features you’ve installed and which you’ve skipped over. During the installation process, I selected the “quick installation” option as I just wanted the very basic video conversion software. I didn’t really care for the picture and DVD utilities. The installation took only a few minutes and nothing really to complain about there. My only suggestion is to be careful when selecting the options and do not just keep hitting “next” to get to the actual installation. If you do that, you will also be installing a toolbar and changing your home page.

After the installation process, I restarted my computer and then opened up the application. The design is pretty straight forward. The navigation is easy

enough to understand. There are tabs all laid out for me to choose. It is all very simple to understand. I know what each tab contains and what the features hold without having to click on the tabs and read the description. I selected the video tab because I am mainly interested in converting videos. I have a movie that was unsuccessfully converted using Pazera so I was hoping that the AVS would have better luck. The conversion process took slightly over one hour, but I finally managed it. This is where I realized that no video converter is perfect and that the AVS Video Converter is far from perfect.

Let’s start off with the system resources. While converting, I noticed that the AVS took up a lot of system resources. This was unpleasant actually. What I mean by system resources is mainly the memory usage. It uses over 250,000K according to my task manager. This isn’t a big deal if I am just running something light such as a web browser. However, if I am multitasking with ...

• several other programs, then the software will run into problems. So far, I have experienced it being not responding twice now. This is very annoying especially for the fact that it is taking so long with converting videos.

This is the next topic I would like to discuss. Don’t think speed when you think the AVS. AVS is the exact opposite to speed. I basically have to leave my computer on for hours when trying to convert one video. I don’t know what it does, but it does it very inefficiently. An average 1.5 hour video takes slightly over one hour to convert. Depending on the actual video, the time will vary slightly. The fastest conversion time for me was approximately forty five minutes. This is quite a wait considering that some people claim other programs can finish a video in fifteen to twenty minutes.

The next problem I have faced is unmatched audio and video. I have videos with the audio coming slightly behind the video or slightly ahead. Either way, it feels really weird trying

to watch an unmatched movie where you can’t exactly make out what the person is saying. Is there anyway around this? Not that I know of. There aren’t any settings allowing me to configure the speed or anything like that. In conclusion, I find that when a video converter claims to be able to do it all, it doesn’t really specialize in just one field. When this software tries to do all the features listed, it doesn’t really shine in one particular area. It does an average job with the video converting and an average job with the other features. In the end, the overall product is nothing more than an average software. I was really hoping for a more well designed product made to do just one thing and can do just that one thing very well. This software is decent, but I do not recommend it. It is probably a good idea to go for a free software. If you don’t like it, you can just delete and don’t have to worry about losing any money over it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3018061580620930/k2311a0618/6.18.12