Sony HX9V Digital Camera  » Cameras  »
  • Since I love to travel and like to have a camera with a nice decent zoom and great videos, I felt that this was the perfect digital camera for me
  • I am very keen about this one because I like to take aerial shots or just simply like to see what’s over the other border
  • I bought the black colored one but it also comes with a gold one (which I haven’t really seen but I know I wouldn’t like it)
  • Also, since this is a zoom camera, this has a sucky macro mode, so if you want the best of both worlds, this isn’t the camera for you
  • This is a good product and I recommend this

• by asg

I recently sold my underwater camera and decided to purchase a new digital camera for my normal use. I mean, really, I don’t need an underwater camera all the time because I don’t hit the beaches often, so I need something that I could use for normal, daily activities and something that shoots great videos.

I decided to purchase a Sony HX9V camera. Since I love to travel and like to have a camera with a nice decent zoom and great videos, I felt that this was the perfect digital camera for me. This has 16x optical zoom and digital zoom reaches up to 64X. I am very keen about this one because I like to take aerial shots or just simply like to see what’s over the other border. This also has 16.2 megapixels. This isn’t such of a great deal to me, in fact a lot of cameras right now has this probably as an average. I mean, if you’re not printing your photos to a large tarpaulin, then you don’t need this as much. Sometimes I bring it down to 10MP when I

need more space for my photos in my memory card. Size-wise, this isn’t much of a pocket camera. It’s a bit bulky but I don’t really mind. I bought the black colored one but it also comes with a gold one (which I haven’t really seen but I know I wouldn’t like it). Sound capture is great because it has stereo sound and has 2 speakers on the top, and comparing it with my old Panasonic camera, the difference between mono and stereo is really remarkable. When I took this in a live dance event, the bass is heard. The grip is great, it is designed so that when you hold it with your right hand you grip it properly and it is made of rubber. It shoots 3D images and panoramic shots as well. It has great image stabilization so I don’t have to worry when I’m walking or what not while taking shots or videos. Battery life is decent but always keep an extra battery handy. It has Intelligent Auto feature that lets you have the liberty to shoot anything and not be worried about manual settings. However, this also has programmable manual settings that you can choose which aperture or shutter speed or whatever you wish, when you want to. I am just an average user so I don’t usually fiddle with it. For the vain, it has a Soft Skin feature that eliminates imperfections and its strength can be adjusted. I don’t use it though because even at low settings it makes me look like I photoshopped my skin, making me look like an android robot instead of a normal person with imperfections. I guess some people like that effect, I don’t. Video capture is so great that there are no lags when viewing it even in a 47 inch LED full HD TV. I put more value on videos rather than photos and this camera is really perfect for it. It has a maximum of 60 frames per second, with stereo sound and when watching videos in an HD TV with TrueMotion (like my LG), the videos are sharp and look so crisp. I mentioned about the zoom capabilities and since it reaches up to 64X digital ...

• Sony HX9V Digital Camera
      zoom, make sure you have a tripod because even if this camera has great image stabilization, when it reaches that maximum zoom, little jitters really matter.

Things I hate: The flash. The flash is so strong that I have to pull down the EV settings to -1 downwards. I don’t know maybe it was designed so that when shooting images from a distance, the flash can still reach it. So shooting images that are near the camera will almost always yield a super white effect and it’s so blinding too. I also didn’t like the GPS thing. I rarely use it and it eats up battery life. Also this may tend to have blurry images because of the shutter speed I’m guessing especially in Auto mode. I have to take multiple shots and surprisingly, most of the shots are not focused. Also, since this is a zoom camera, this has a sucky macro mode, so if you want the best of both worlds, this isn’t the camera for you. When shooting videos at the max resolution, you are not able to do a screenshot; the system will

not allow it. This camera can also be bulky for some, and it sucks that it doesn’t have hooks on either side so I could get a camera strap for my neck and shoot when I need to. The location of the pop-up flash sucks because that’s where we usually place our right hand fingers and when it does pop-up, our fingers block it. It took me a while to get used to it. Kind of wished that Sony made a manual switch for popping up the flash.

So far this is a good camera. It has lots of features and you will enjoy fiddling with them if you have to. For travelers who like travel cameras with lots of zoom, this is a good choice but make sure to bring tripods. For videographers, this is a great choice because the video capture is really exceptional. To those who have 3D capabilities on their monitors or TV, this is a great choice for shooting 3D panoramic shots and images. The grip is great too. The price is good enough for its features. This is a good product and I recommend this.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4315061580310730/k2311a0615/6.15.12