Kobo Vox 7 Inch Touchscreen Color eReader Ice Blue Edition
2.5
  • I notice it freezes up like crazy and lags
  • I have installed some applications and noticed that some simply do not refuse to end
  • I suggest that you do not install too many applications
  • I prefer to have enough space left over for my ebooks
  • Unfortunately, my Kindle isn’t touch screen so that is why I wanted to switch

• by MisterTickle

This is probably the only e-reader that is running on Android. Although the specs aren’t that great, it works fairly well as an e-reader. I was actually quite surprised to see the Android capabilities. I actually like an Android e-reader. I guess this is because it saves battery and I can run some of my favorite Android applications at the same time.

The screen is a seven inch touch screen. It runs on Android 2.3. This isn’t the latest, but it will do the trick. The internal storage is 8GB, which can be further expanded with a micro SD card. The expected battery life is six hours. This pretty much covers the basic specifications. They don’t look very impressive mainly because this is still supposed to be an e-reader. The very basic feature is to read books and that is about it.

The general Android performance is decent. To start off with, it is not possible to multitask. I notice it freezes up like crazy and

lags. The processor can simply not handle running several applications at once. I have installed some applications and noticed that some simply do not refuse to end. I used a task killer several and the applications just appears right back again. This is one of the problems with Android. I suggest that you do not install too many applications. Some of the applications take up a lot more space compared to the rest. I prefer to have enough space left over for my ebooks. Also, not all applications can be run on this device. Some applications take up a lot of resources, which the system cannot handle it.

As for ebook reading, it is pretty much like any other e-reader. This e-reader can handle all the major formats such as PDF, ePub, and the Kobo format. All of them display with pretty much the same result. I did not have any alignment problem or text not being able to be displayed. In my opinion, the ...

• Kobo format is probably my most preferred format. I guess this works better with the built-in dictionary. After all, this is a Kobo e-reader. I noticed with this e-reader, there are a couple of built-in font sizes. However, the only problem is that I can’t exactly choose somewhere between two different font sizes. This isn’t a major issue, but I would like it better if it were possible to customize the font settings.

What I do like about this e-reader is the touch screen sensitivity. I didn’t notice any problems with the page turning by swiping a finger on the screen. There is no button to tap or press to turn the pages. The swiping works pretty nice actually. Also, at a six hour battery life, this is working pretty well. Even when I am playing a game, I noticed that the battery managed to last. Although the battery is slightly shorter, it still managed to last for a pretty long time. However, the screen

does not work very well under direct sunlight. It appears to have a glare. This can be fixed slightly by increasing the brightness. It isn’t very noticeable, but at least there is going to be a difference.

Although I like this concept, I have to say that the Android with the e-reader is not a good match. An e-reader should just be used to read books. The Android feature lowers the battery life a lot actually. For my Kindle, I can get my battery life to last over a week if used sparingly. Unfortunately, my Kindle isn’t touch screen so that is why I wanted to switch. Also, the Android isn’t really perfected. For very lite use, Android works fine. However, once you try to multitask like I did, that is where the problems begin. The storage capacity is good enough for just ebooks as ebooks don’t take up a lot of space. However, applications and other media files take up a lot more space.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1615061580300730/k2311a0615/6.15.12