Air Optix Aqua Contact Lenses  » Health  »
2.0
  • These contacts are supposed to be ideal for people who wear contacts for the entire day, have an active lifestyle or who experience dry or tired eyes at the end of the day from wearing other lenses
  • I decided to try the new lenses and try to take out my contacts after a full day at work and after working out, allowing my eyes more access to oxygen by wearing my glasses when not being active or in front of a computer
  • The O2 lenses cost me $19.85 per box at my last reorder 2 years ago
  • Currently, on discount contact lenses, the Air Optix is a bit less than the amount I paid at $29.95 for less than 4 boxes
  • I’m disappointed I had to pay double the price for a product that did not live up to its claims

• by cmurray081981

I previously used O2 Optix contact lenses with no issues. My supply was nearing the end so I of course had to schedule an appointment with an optometrist for an eye exam before being able to re-order my contacts. He ended up recommending that I switch to Air Optix Aqua lenses, which was a new type of contacts made by the same company as O2 Optix, manufactured by Ciba Vision.

The Air Optix Aqua contacts are supposed to lubricate the eyelid to maintain moisture while transmitting 5 times more oxygen than other lenses to provide all day comfort. Allowing more oxygen in is supposed to help maintain the health of the eyes. Due to the lubricating nature of the contacts they can be worn for a month straight when competitor’s lenses need to be changed every 2 weeks. The lenses are also acceptable to wear for 6 consecutive nights. These contacts are supposed to be ideal for people who wear contacts for the entire day, have an active lifestyle or who experience dry or tired eyes at the end of the day from wearing other lenses.

My optometrist informed me that any daily wear of contact lenses will restrict oxygen transmission to the cornea to some degree. He warned me that if I did

not change my lenses on a regular basis my corneas could become desensitized and I would not notice pain due to minor abrasions to the cornea from putting in and taking out old lenses. He also cautioned me that if my corneas did not receive enough oxygen from over wearing my lenses that the blood vessels from the surrounding areas of the eye can grow into them to provide them with the oxygen they are lacking. Over time, the blood vessels growing into the cornea could lead to deterioration in vision. Finally, he advised me that the cells binding the cornea to the eye can slightly detach due to lack of oxygen, allowing bacteria to get into the eye that lead to infections.

As a result he recommended that I switch from the older, less oxygen transmittable O2 lenses to the Air Optix and that I try to reduce the amount of time I wear my lenses. I decided to try the new lenses and try to take out my contacts after a full day at work and after working out, allowing my eyes more access to oxygen by wearing my glasses when not being active or in front of a computer. My optometrist provided me with a 2 week supply of the lenses and asked me to come back for a checkup. We determined the contacts were comfortable and I proceeded to purchase a year’s supply of lenses.

The Air Optix lenses were quite a bit more expensive than the O2 at $31.95 per box, but there is a slight discount offered by some companies if you order a year’s supply of contacts at once. The O2 lenses cost me $19.85 per box at my last reorder 2 years ago. Currently, on discount contact lenses, the Air Optix is a bit less than the amount I paid at $29.95 for less than 4 boxes. I suspect I paid more since the product was brand new when I purchased them. However, The O2 Optix contacts are prescribed for 2 week usage compared to one month with Air Optix, so the price of both work out to be about the same.

At first, the contacts were comfortable to wear but I could not say I felt there was any difference between the O2 and Air Optix. I’m not sure if I was supposed to notice that my eyes felt more moisturized or healthier but I did not detect any change at all for the first few months of use. I did not take my optometrist’s advice after a ...

• Air Optix Aqua Contact Lenses
      few months and continued to wear my contacts from morning to bedtime every day, as I had always done over 15 years of consecutive contact lens use. I did make sure to change my lenses every month and almost never wore them through the night. If I did, it was never for more than one night at a time.

A few months into my use of the Air Optix, I began to notice my right eye was developing an odd sensation. Those who have used contacts regularly know the feeling – it’s as if you put in a contact lens that has a small rip in the middle or something stuck on it. It feels as if something is in your eye but no matter how you try to wash it out or rinse the lens and put it back in, you still have the same sensation. Normally, after a few tries I can identify any rip or debris on the lens, but I could not find anything. Finally, I disposed of that lens and tried a brand new one before the recommended month of lens wear was up. This had always solved my issue in the past, but the feeling still persisted. Now, my left eye was starting to feel dry as

well. I put in one more new pair of lenses and decided to start taking my doctor’s advice and removing the lenses when I no longer needed to have them in.

The dry, irritated feeling started to decline as soon as I got into the habit of taking my contacts out during the week right before dinner. Now I try to make sure I take out my lenses earlier and put them in later on the weekends. I am disappointed with these contact lenses due to my experience. I never had any issues whatsoever with any other lenses like I did with these. The experience I had with this product seemed to be counteracting the claims made that they will provide a much more comfortable experience and allow use from morning to night. While I did make the point that in the long run the costs of both lenses would be about the same, if you’re looking to only purchase a few boxes at a time the O2 lenses are far more economical. I’m disappointed I had to pay double the price for a product that did not live up to its claims. The next time I get an eye exam I plan to request a different brand of lens offering a more comfortable experience.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3411061579260330/k2311a0611/6.11.12