Chicago Botanic Garden  » Travel  »
1000 Lake Cook Road, Glencoe, IL 60022
  • I love that the gardens here are always changing, that they are always bringing in new gardeners to change things up and that they have a very natural approach to working the land
  • Bike paths are easy, we can ride mountain or street bikes on them without a problem because they are all paved and lead into the lagoons on the other end of the garden property
  • I have been to city gardens all over the country and Chicago's is by far one of the best

• by Alpha2Zulu

The Chicago Botanic Gardens are big enough to keep any guest busy and happy for hours. With hundreds of acres worth of land, ponds, streams and a lagoon there are so many different varieties of garden that can be cultivated and grown. I have been here so many mornings, afternoons and evenings at all different times of the year and I have never felt like I’ve seen it all or thought that the one trip was the only one I had to take. I love that the gardens here are always changing, that they are always bringing in new gardeners to change things up and that they have a very natural approach to working the land. The events and things that they put together for guests

and the community are always enticing and I always want to see more.

The gardens are located in Skokie, right by the Skokie lagoons and very near Lake Michigan so it is a very unique environment. All the different areas of the gardens give the option to experiment and create totally contained gardens, like an arbor garden, water gardens, prairie gardens, and bog gardens that are allowed to grow at their own pace. Of course, then there are the very well maintained and controlled gardens like the vegetable gardens, rose garden, children’s gardens and even a knot garden. I love spending a lot of time in the vegetable gardens because I can get so many ideas from the way they garden here. This garden ...

• is very hands on and the gardeners that are there are always open to answering questions and giving you advice for your own garden at home.

One of my favorite times at the garden are in the evenings, when it is cooler and there is always something going on. We have been there for concerts, dance bands, organized picnics, wine tastings, choral bell concerts and lectures. They are very accommodating at the gardens and try to make couples and families as comfortable as possible at these events allowing you to bring in your own food to enjoy and lawn chairs and blankets to relax. I have never felt out of place or uncomfortable here.

One of the reasons I go back so often has to

do with the price, the gardens are free, though there is a charge for parking. You can walk or bike ride onto the grounds for free though, and this is a great way to see parts of the garden that you otherwise might not get too– because it is so large. Bike paths are easy, we can ride mountain or street bikes on them without a problem because they are all paved and lead into the lagoons on the other end of the garden property.

Anyone that is visiting Chicago for the first time or who has never been to the Chicago Botanic Garden needs to see this place. I have been to city gardens all over the country and Chicago’s is by far one of the best.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 388061579160830/k2311a068/6.8.12