Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM - Nikon Mount Lens
  • I decided to write this review for two main reasons
  • Unfortunately there are very few reviews about this exact product
  • When I bought my Nikon D7000, I chose to buy the body only, because I was well aware of the importance of selecting the right type of lenses
  • To be honest, I chose Sigma because of it convenient price
  • I consider it one of the best standard zoom lens out there, handy and effective in all lighting situations

• by Praetorian

I decided to write this review for two main reasons: 1. Before deciding to spend an important amount of money in a 24-70mm standard zoom lens, I did myself a lot of searching and reading on internet. Unfortunately there are very few reviews about this exact product.

2. Most of these reviews have inconsistent or contradictory statements. People often confuse this lens model with the older ones from Sigma (macro version or non-HSM versions), and leave erroneous feedbacks.

When I bought my Nikon D7000, I chose to buy the body only, because I was well aware of the importance of selecting the right type of lenses. So I began my research for a quality lens to match the body, and also my photography needs. Soon I discovered that the 24-70mm was the ideal focal length for

me. It’s almost an all-purpose lens but most importantly, it is a FAST lens. Its large F2.8 aperture allows you to shoot in low light conditions with lower ISOs, and also offers great control over the depth of field; both very important aspects of photography.

To be honest, I chose Sigma because of it convenient price. Its Nikon rival costs twice as much. But I must say, I’m extremely happy with my choice. The Sigma model lacks weather sealing and optical stabilisation. However its large aperture allows me to shoot at high shutter speeds thus avoiding blurry images.

Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM is a very well-built full frame lens. Personally I like my stuff hard and solid, and this lens feels just the right way. It’s relatively heavy, almost 800g, but balances perfectly

my Nikon D7000. It’s more compact compared to the Nikon model. I’m a bit reluctant about its matte finish since it’s harder to clean but this is a matter of personal tastes after all. It has a nice petal shaped plastic hood and comes with a quality carrying case.

Focusing is incredibly fast and nearly silent thanks to the ultrasonic AF motor, barrel extends very smoothly and suffers no zoom creep, however note that zoom and focusing rings rotate in the opposite direction of normal Nikon lenses. This lens has a 82mm filter size which will make polarising and ND filters rather expensive. Overall this lens has impressive mechanical qualities.

Performance is more than satisfactory. Colors are nicely saturated and personally I like that on my photos because it makes them look warmer. Since my camera ...

• Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM - Nikon Mount Lens
      has an APS-C sensor, vignetting is virtually zero. However, please keep in mind that the crop factor also affects focal length, so Sigma 24-70mm actually acts like a 35-105mm lens on my D7000.

This lens produces beautiful circular shaped bokehs thanks to its 9 rounded diaphragm blades. As you would expect from this lens, distortion is minimal. Mostly your pictures will suffer slight barrel distortion at 24mm but nothing that your favorite editing software can’t handle with ease.

While I was doing my research on this lens, I came across many negative feedbacks on popular websites like Amazon, mainly from buyers claiming to have back focus (or front focus) issues. Definitely not my case. I tried this lens on both my D7000 and my wife’s D90. Focus was fast and dead on every time.

Another popular

issue among negative feedbacks seemed to be sharpness. Now sharpness is one of the most important aspects in photography, so I took the matter very seriously. Soon I ended up confused by all the contradictory comments, and decided like always to learn things first hand. I took my chances and bought the lens. I’m glad I did. Tack sharp just as I hoped it would be. Nevertheless you must take into consideration that there is a slight drop in sharpness when lens is wide open. Personally I can live with it.

Finally, in my humble opinion, Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM is definitely a very useful and classy lens. It is attractively affordable and offers impressive mechanical and optical qualities for the price. I consider it one of the best standard zoom lens out there, handy and effective in all lighting situations.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 436061578641230/k2311a066/6.6.12