Gentle leader - dog training  » Pets  »
  • I grew up with dogs pulling during walks being a natural thing that was just considered a minor annoyance so I definitely hadn't even considered the idea of a training tool out there to help prevent this behaviour
  • Instead I decided I would try to train him to walk using just positive reinforcement in the form of treats
  • I now think of our walks as enjoyable quality time as opposed to the chore I thought it was before trying this product
  • He can still pull on occassion if something REALLY interesting grabs his attention but since I have control of his head he can not pull with his full strength and by simply holding the leash directly above his head he automatically sits
  • I highly recommend this product to any dog owner

• by MarieP

I have been a dog owner my entire life and growing up proper training was just that important to my parents. However when I moved out on my own and rescued my husky/shepherd mix it was immediately evident that this was a dog who needed the structure training would provide.

One of his issues was trying to walk him, as even as puppy he constantly pulled with all his strength.

I grew up with dogs pulling during

walks being a natural thing that was just considered a minor annoyance so I definitely hadn’t even considered the idea of a training tool out there to help prevent this behaviour.

Instead I decided I would try to train him to walk using just positive reinforcement in the form of treats.

Treats worked for the very trainable shepherd part of my dog however the oh so stubborn husky part of him was just not going to pay attention to that if he was more interested in something else like the scent of a rock.

As a dog lover I tend to frequent the local animal shelters somewhat regularly to visit the abandoned animals.

It was on one of those visit to the local SPCA that someone recommended to me that I try a gentle leader.

I was skeptical but since it was not that expensive and the pulling was definitely annoying to deal with ...

• Gentle leader - dog training
      I decided to give it a try.

The gentle leader has two straps, one that goes around the dogs mouth and the other that goes just behind their ears.

The idea is that it gives you control of the dogs head and thus control of their movements.

The gentle lead has changed the way I view walks with my dog.

it was before trying this product.

He now walks happily beside or behind me and I get compliments all the time on how well behaved my dog is.

He can still pull on occassion if something REALLY interesting grabs his attention but since I have control of his head he can not pull with his full strength and by simply holding the leash directly above his head he automatically sits.

I highly recommend this product to any dog owner!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 296061578621230/k2311a066/6.6.12