Norpro Silicone Ice Pop Maker Set  » Housewares  »
  • When I was a kid I used to love an ice pop called Calypso (I think that was the name), you had to kind of push the ice pop up using the paper tube it came in - the flaw being that the bottom of the tube would crease and collapse on itself before the lolly was quite finished
  • The only issue I have is that unless you fill the cone pretty much to the top, when you lie them down inside the freezer the contents settle along the length of the cone and that spoils the look of the frozen ice pop
  • The best thing to start with is making ice pops using a juice and water mix, but over the past few weeks of warm weather I've been experimenting using yogurt and other sweet mixtures with varying degrees of success

• by roundabout

When I was a kid I used to love an ice pop called Calypso (I think that was the name), you had to kind of push the ice pop up using the paper tube it came in - the flaw being that the bottom of the tube would crease and collapse on itself before the lolly was quite finished.  I lost track of these particular cold treats, but when I spotted this set of ice pop makers in Target it brought back some memories and I bought them immediately.

They’re a really good idea; basically a long thin cone made of silicone which you fill with the ice pop mixture of your choice, each one has a lid made of the same silicone which clips

into place to stop anything leaking out before it’s finished freezing up.  When frozen you release the lid and push up your ice pop up using the cone itself, the end being sealed meaning any melted ice pop juice will just collect in the bottom ready for you to drink.

The cones are fairly rigid, I’d been concerned that the silicone was going to be a bit too flimsy to handle when filled with liquid but this isn’t the case. The only issue I have is that unless you fill the cone pretty much to the top, when you lie them down inside the freezer the contents settle along the length of the cone and that spoils the look of the frozen ice pop.  It ...

• would have been great if Norpro had provided some sort of stand to keep them upright in the freezer as I have to prop them up against bags of frozen peas and fries!

The best thing to start with is making ice pops using a juice and water mix, but over the past few weeks of warm weather I’ve been experimenting using yogurt and other sweet mixtures with varying degrees of success. I’ve found that leaving the ice pops out of the freezer for a couple of minutes before eating makes them easier to slide up the cone as it loosens the ice from the silicone.

Obviously the silicone ice pop makers are reusable and because they get very sticky they need a good wash before

you put them away or use them again.  I find it best to use very hot water and lots of detergent, you can also turn the cones inside out for easy washing and I recommend this if you’re washing them in the dishwasher.

I paid around $5 for this set of four ice pop makers and received red, blue, green and yellow cones.  This is a good range of colours to appeal to children (surely the target audience) and have so far been robust enough to cope with being used by my four children, I caught my two youngest playing catch and generally throwing the cones around the garden when they’d finished their ice pops so I can guarantee the fact that they’re strong enough to last!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 534061578220830/k2311a064/6.4.12