Topsy Tail Hair Tool  » Cosmetics  »
  • Amazon had the product available online and I paid $10.50 for the product and shipping
  • I prefer to style my ponytail with the loop at the bottom so the hair is pulled up under the hair elastic and the ponytail cascades down to cover the elastic
  • I enjoy this product and appreciate that the directions are much more thorough than even some products made in America are
  • I would highly recommend this product and only give it an 8 because the strength of it is not up to par with the original Topsy Tail
  • The styles are easy to do and using the tool is key to creating them, so in my opinion the product is worth the $10 cost

• by cmurray081981

I used to use a tool way back around 1995 or so called the Topsy Tail. Some styles that the tool created would be considered dated now, but I recalled that I was able to create some styles that would still be appropriate for the times and so I was determine to try and find a replica of the original product that is no longer available. Amazon had the product available online and I paid $10.50 for the product and shipping. The product is not the same Topsy Tail brand product I had 15 years ago, but it is a decent replica. The product appears to be made in Korea and has instructions in both English as well as other foreign languages. The product also comes with a larger sized Topsy Tail that is meant to pull all your hair through and a smaller tool for styles using only half your hair. My original Topsy Tail only came with the large sized tool.

I was thrilled to get a replacement for my beloved tool. The tool is very simple to use. It’s a long plastic stick with a

loop at the end. You put your hair into a ponytail securing it with an elastic hair band but make sure that the elastic is not secured too tightly. You will need to insert the long stick like end of the tool through the ponytail under the elastic, and without enough room for the tool to be pulled through the hair will just get snagged in the tool and cannot be worked through the ponytail. The tool is inserted through your ponytail underneath the elastic with the loop facing up or down. I prefer to style my ponytail with the loop at the bottom so the hair is pulled up under the hair elastic and the ponytail cascades down to cover the elastic. Next, insert the hair from the ponytail through the loop and using the stick part of the tool, pull the hair underneath and through the ponytail under the elastic. You’ll end up with a style of a cute little flip to the ponytail above the elastic. The new ponytail is a bit unique because it has a bit of a bounce and some volume to ...

• it. I also like to put in an ornamental hair clip or barrette to add some additional decoration to the style. If you use the tool with the loop at the top, the hair will be pulled through the elastic so the ponytail hair is now underneath the elastic and you will have a bit of an old fashioned twist visible above the elastic. I believed this style was dated but within the last 6 months I saw an actress on a television show wearing her hair with the old fashioned twist only using half her hair and the remainder of her hair was pulled into a low ponytail, so it does appear that all things old become new again.

The main differences between the original Topsy Tail and the imitation version are that the Topsy Tail was a red color and the imitation is black. Also, the original Topsy Tail was a much stronger plastic that the new version available. The black version is much more flexible but a lot less strong. I do sometimes find that it’s difficult for the new tool to get worked through

the ponytail, perhaps because it is not nearly as strong of material. I sometimes have to try doing it a few times before it works or I have to loosen the elastic more than I would prefer, allowing some loose layers to fall out. I also sometimes get a stray hair or two poking out from the finished style, but it’s not obvious enough that I have to redo the style. The style guide offers quite a few different styling options using the product. The instructions are in translated English and so they are not entirely accurate but you can pick up the general idea since they offer illustrations as well as written directions. I enjoy this product and appreciate that the directions are much more thorough than even some products made in America are. I would highly recommend this product and only give it an 8 because the strength of it is not up to par with the original Topsy Tail. The styles are easy to do and using the tool is key to creating them, so in my opinion the product is worth the $10 cost.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 314061577820930/k2311a064/6.4.12