NordicWare Snowflake Shortbread Pan  » Housewares  »
  • As a keen baker I like to make my own cakes and biscuits rather than buy them from the store, that way I know exactly what has gone into them and equally importantly they taste better than mass produced goodies
  • That's the reason I bought this Snowflake Shortbread Pan from my favourite cookware brand, NordicWare
  • I needn't have worried however as the shortbread comes out as crunchy, gorgeous and delicious as ever

• by roundabout

As a keen baker I like to make my own cakes and biscuits rather than buy them from the store, that way I know exactly what has gone into them and equally importantly they taste better than mass produced goodies.  At Christmastime however things get a little trickier as it can be awkward making my baked goods look more festive than the ones I create all year round. That’s the reason I bought this Snowflake Shortbread Pan from my favourite cookware brand, NordicWare.  I got mine from Ebay, but it’s available for purchase from the NordicWare website priced at $38.

The pan measures 11″ x 9.5″ and will create nine large pieces of shortbread each with a depth of just under one inch.  The bottom of the shortbread pan is deeply embossed so

that the top of each biscuit has a delicate raised snowflake design on it, the effect is great and the shortbread biscuits created are of just the right size to make a nice semi-substantial snack.  There’s a decent shortbread recipe printed on the cardboard sleeve that was wrapped around the pan when I bought it, but you don’t need anything special to be able to use this pan and I simply bake my tried and trusted recipe with excellent results every time.

The pan is made of cast aluminum with a non-stick coating on the interior; the non-stick aspect works really well and doesn’t need any greasing, I’m always surprised at how easily the cooked shortbread comes out of the pan as when I first bought it I imagined that the more fiddly ...

• snowflake detail would be impossible to get out in one piece. This isn’t the case however as a sharp tap in the centre of each cooked shortbread square is enough to dislodge even the most stubborn biscuit!

The shortbread has always browned evenly and perfectly, I usually use cutters and ‘open bake’ my cookies and biscuits so I was a little nervous about using a pan with such high sides. I needn’t have worried however as the shortbread comes out as crunchy, gorgeous and delicious as ever!

The pan itself is lightweight and is handily shaped with a handle on either side for ease of lifting it in and out of the oven, these handles get as hot as the rest of the pan so you still need to use an oven mitt when it’s

hot but it does make life a little easier when it comes to removing the cooked shortbread from the oven.  I find it makes life a little easier if you let the shortbread sit in the pan for a couple of minutes before transferring it to a cooking rack, this helps the shortbread to be released easier from the pan and also gives it a bit of extra time to crisp fully.

Washing the pan is very easy, despite the fact that there are so many tiny nooks and crannies on the bottom. The non-stick coating ensures most of the crumbs drop out while you’re releasing the shortbread, a quick soak in hot soapy water will leave it spotless with all traces of grease and flour removed and the pan returning to it’s shiny state.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5331051577570631/k2311a0531/5.31.12