Barry M Instant Nail Effects Crackle Nail Polish  » Cosmetics  »
  • I'm always looking for something a little different to do with my nails without paying the ever increasing salon prices, so when I spotted a new range from Barry M last year I decided to give it a go
  • I believe there is also a pink Instant Nail Effects polish, but I haven't seen that one personally
  • This finishes off the look perfectly however so it definitely is worth doing

• by roundabout

I’m always looking for something a little different to do with my nails without paying the ever increasing salon prices, so when I spotted a new range from Barry M last year I decided to give it a go. Instant effects is basically a top coat which you apply on top of your nail polish, as it dries it cracks to create different effects while still allowing you to see the colour in which you originally painted your nails.

I have the black and white versions and have now used them plenty of times, with differing rates of success. The black is the most striking but you have to be careful

about what colour you use as your base otherwise the finished result can be very talon-like, white works beautifully with bright pinks and oranges so makes it ideal for the summery months. I believe there is also a pink Instant Nail Effects polish, but I haven’t seen that one personally.

The brush is a little bit too short and stubby, this is a bit of a nuisance as the colour dries very quickly so it would be useful to have a brush which fans out more to enable me to coat my entire nail in one go. It’s important you don’t overlap the Instant Nail Effects coats as this causes it to try strangely and where you’ve overlapped the crackle won’t happen properly, this means the polish takes a little bit of getting used to but once you have the knack you’ll be fine.

I try to do each nail with two strokes of the brush to minimise any overlapping problems, but this isn’t always possible so using Instant Nail Effects can be time consuming compared to simply painting my nails with a regular polish. The polish will crack differently on each nail so you’ll never be able to get a uniform look if that’s what you’re after, sometimes (particularly on my thumb nails) it’ll hardly crack at all and other times ...

• Barry M Instant Nail Effects Crackle Nail Polish
      the polish will crack so much that it leaves you with barely any black visible at all apart from a few thin strands.  The white Instant Nail Effects polish is the same, although it doesn’t tend to matter so much with that shade as the bright white mixes so beautifully with the brighter colour you’ll be wearing underneath it.

An issue I have with Instant Nail Effects is that it dries to a very dull, matte finish -like most women I prefer glossy nails so have to spend yet more time adding a couple of top coats to add shine to my newly painted nails. This finishes off the look perfectly

however so it definitely is worth doing.

The polish lasts well in the bottle, mine has been in use for almost twelve months now and it still has the same thick and glossy consistency as when I first bought it - and this is in spite of the fact that I’ve not replaced the lid properly a couple of times and therefore the polish has been left open to the elements.

I recommend this nail polish if you’re looking for something to ring the changes with your home painted nails - it might not be perfect but it works and helps you to obtain a look similar to that you’d receive in a salon.

Bekky says :

The pink one is available in Superdrug stores but it is a very washed out color so the effects aren’t great even over a dark base coat. The black is the signature Crackle polish as you say and the most effective by far. Great review. Bekky

Alice replies :

Hi

I tried the pink one out last week actually and wasn’t too impressed either - there’s a baby blue variety available now too which is very similar to the pink. Black all the way for me.

Thanks, Alice

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3131051577540631/k2311a0531/5.31.12