Kate Somerville Somerville 360 Degree Tanning Towelettes
  • This year I decided I wanted to go to Savannah during St. Patrick’s Day since the city has a huge, nationally renowned celebration
  • I have a few stretch marks obtained over the years on my hips and thighs and have found from prior experience that using self-tanner will darken the skin surrounding these marks, but not the marks themselves, so they stand out more than usual
  • I was a bit apprehensive to get the airbrush tan for this very reason but they must have made some strides in tanning because the problem was not nearly as obvious as it had been for me in the past
  • I would have considered using one in my shower so as not to get the spray everywhere but was concerned the spray would be both slippery and stain the shower curtain, so the towlette seemed the best option
  • I found the tanner had worked great the next morning

• by cmurray081981

This year I decided I wanted to go to Savannah during St. Patrick’s Day since the city has a huge, nationally renowned celebration. While I was there, I also planned to go to Tybee Island, right on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. The weather was supposed to be in the 80s and certainly warm enough to sit on the beach and tan or go for a short dip in the ocean. However, after a somewhat mild Wisconsin winter I was still the approximate shade of translucent powder. I decided instead of looking like a ghost on the beach, I would try to get a fake tan before leaving. I signed up for an airbrush tan at my local salon, but I could only get in 3 days prior to the day we were supposed to leave for vacation. I was a bit worried the tan might start to fade before then, so I also decided to go online and search Sephora for some self-tanner that I would use as a back up to the airbrush tan.

I didn’t really want to get a whole tube of tanner since I didn’t plan on using it all summer long. I have a few stretch marks obtained over the years on my hips and thighs and have found from prior experience that using self-tanner will darken the skin surrounding these marks, but not the marks themselves, so they stand out more than usual. Not ideal when the idea is to sit on a beach wearing a swimsuit that bares those exact areas… and not an ideal look overall. I was a bit apprehensive to get

the airbrush tan for this very reason but they must have made some strides in tanning because the problem was not nearly as obvious as it had been for me in the past. As a result, I had stopped using self-tanners completely. However, I still had a self-tanner for home use to try. I decided I would rather try a self-tanner towlette than a cream or spray because of the ease of use.

I’d used creams in the past and they tended to absorb into your hands as you used the tanner on the rest of your body and it left them unusually darker than any other body part. You can use gloves to apply the tanner, but it’s much more difficult to get an even application this way. It has also been suggested to wash your hands frequently and thoroughly while applying the tanner, but I then manage to basically wash off all of the tanner from my hands, leaving them looking pale in comparison to my arms. Spray tans would also create a mess. I would have considered using one in my shower so as not to get the spray everywhere but was concerned the spray would be both slippery and stain the shower curtain, so the towlette seemed the best option. I am a big fan of reading other’s reviews myself. I find the best way to determine what product works best for you is to read other’s comments, so I searched Sephora’s Bronzer and Self-Tanner section by “Top Rated” and two different kinds of self-tanner towlettes captured my attention.

The first was called Tan Towel and the towlettes came

in both fair/medium and medium/dark. I have a very pale complexion as is, so I would have chosen the fair/medium formula. I clicked on the product for more information and people saying the towlettes were smelly and created an orange look. The cost for 10 towlettes was $24. Ouch, not to mention I did not plan on using 10 towlettes if I wasn’t sure exactly how well they’d work. Next, I checked out the second self-tanner towlette, Kate Somerville 360 degree Tanning Towlettes. I read a couple reviews from people claiming the product didn’t work well and give them a nice color and that the towlettes made their color streaky.

However, I realized there will always be people who have issues with any product, no matter how good it may be. What sold me on these towlettes was that I could get 2 for $10. Perfect for someone who wants to try the product out and decide if it’s worth it to purchase more later on. If you decide to purchase more, 8 towlettes cost a whopping $48. Nonetheless, I went ahead with my purchase for 2 towlettes and I was glad I did. My airbrushed tan did start to fade noticeably the night before I planned to leave for GA. The stylist who did the airbrushing also started with my left arm, and she must not have noticed the spray tanner was not quite spraying the formula out yet because she continued on with my arm and it was obvious the next day that it was not evenly covered and much lighter than my right arm.

First off, let me say that ...

• Kate Somerville Somerville 360 Degree Tanning Towelettes
      it is important to exfoliate prior to using self-tanner. I was a bit surprised when I made my salon appointment that they did not give me some upfront directions, but I did a bit of internet research prior to going and remembered from my past usage that sloughing off the dead skin cells helps the tanner to last longer and avoids streaking. My salon did in fact give me an information sheet AFTER my airbrush tanning session that said the same thing. So I did exfoliate prior to my airbrush tan and again prior to refreshing my tan using the Kate Somerville towlettes. I opened the first towlette after exfoliating and making sure my skin was totally dry. It was a very nice size, large enough to get a good grip on and slide easily over your arms, legs, back and torso. I also noticed that the smell of the product was a bit typical of a self-tanner but a lot more subtle.

It was far less smelly than previous products I’ve used. The towlette started out moist but dried very quickly. I did end up having to use both towels to re-tan all over my body. I made sure to start with my left arm that had not been thoroughly covered in my airbrush session and went lighter over my hands, feet, knees and elbows. I then made sure I was totally dry before putting my clothes back on by using a hair dryer on low to physically dry myself off. My airbrush tan had ended the same way, and I thought it was a great idea to use the hair dryer

to dry your skin as well as hair. Make sure not to turn the dryer on full blast or too hot, or you’ll start to sweat off the tanner you just applied.

I went to bed, excited to view the results in the morning. I woke up and saw the tanner had stained the sheets a bit. I’m not sure if I sweated throughout the night or if the tanner just rubbed off a bit on the sheets, but the tanner came out easily after running the sheets through the washing machine. I found the tanner had worked great the next morning. My left arm was now evened out and the same color as my right and the rest of my tan was refreshed and looked even a bit darker than the airbrush tan alone. I’m sure my results would not have been quite as dark if I had not had the remnants of the airbrush tan left. The towlettes also did not leave any orange color to my skin.

The tan looked very natural and did not give my very fair complexion an overly-tanned appearance. I give the towlettes a 8/10 for ease of use, cleanliness and overall good results. I would have liked for the color not to rub off on my sheets, for the scent to be improved and for the towlettes to go a bit farther than they did considering how large in size they were. Also, at $48 for 8 towlettes I don’t think I have the means to spend money for them on a regular basis but they are great for special occasions or prior to vacations in warmer climates.

Mindy says :

That is a safer way to tan then to sit in the sun getting leather skin.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3130051577290531/k2311a0530/5.30.12