Goody Simple Styles Spin Pin in Blonde  » Cosmetics  »
  • The directions state that the pins should not interlock, but I actually do try to interlock them for even more of a secure hold and have never had any issue getting them back out
  • I think I would need to follow the directions for the simple bun, but use two packages of the mini spin pin instead

• by cmurray081981

I was very excited when Goody came out with their Simple Styles line. I am terrible at attempting to style my own hair in updos on my own so any tools I find I am willing to try. The first product I was excited to find was the Goody Simple Styles Spin Pin in Blonde. The packaging promises that each spin pin does the work of 20 bobby pins and two pins that measure about 1-2 inches in length are included.

What is nice about the product is that it allows for some creativity, of which I have none. This is a great tool for a stylist or someone who has a bit more talent in thinking up different and unique styles but just need some special tools in order to execute them. Since I am not creative I simply followed the directions of the 3 different styles that are included in the product packaging.

I have had the most luck with

the simple bun. My hair texture is very thin, fine and slippery. Even though the product states you do not need additional hair tools to complete the look, I still started by putting my hair into a ponytail and securing it with a ponytail holder.

Then I simply twisted the ponytail into the bun shape and put each spin pin in diagonally, so that both pins are inserted in an X shape through the bun. The directions state that the pins should not interlock, but I actually do try to interlock them for even more of a secure hold and have never had any issue getting them back out. The spin pins worked great and my style held all day.

One issue I did encounter was that since I have layers in my hair, some stray ends did stick out of the bun and it was not quite as sleek-looking as I’d hoped, but I tried to remedy this by tucking in ...

• the stray strands and securing them with bobby pins. Another set of directions provides detail on how to use the spin pins to create a double bun using a half and half hair look but since Goody came out with the mini spin pin I would not use the regular sized ones to attempt this look. I do find that the regular sized pins stick out a bit even when I use them to create the bun, so attempting a style using only part of my hair would surely mean that most of the pin would be visible.

A really nice feature that Goody offers are videos on their website for visual demonstrations on how to use their products, but it would be nice if they offered more detailed instructions for the two additional styles features on the product packaging. The two other styles offered are: a messy sideswept bun and a double bun (buns on the top and bottom of the

back of the head). I’ve tried both, but without as much luck as the simple bun.

With the sideswept bun, my layers keep falling out and I can’t get the style to look as nice as it does on the box. However, the directions are much the same as with the simple bun, except that you pull the ponytail to one side of your head and create a much deeper side part for a more elegant look. I could not master the double bun with only two spin pins.

I think I would need to follow the directions for the simple bun, but use two packages of the mini spin pin instead. In either case, the sideswept bun would work much better for someone who does not have layers in their hair, and the double bun works best using the mini spin pin. Overall, the product is very easy to use, durable, has a sturdy hold and is useful for many different types of creative hairstyles.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3125051577000231/k2311a0525/5.25.12