Mass Effect 1 PC game
2.5
  • I had heard great things about the game series Mass Effect, but after playing the PS3 version of the game, I was not impressed
  • Another technical problem I noticed was with the voices
  • I know it was the same people voicing the characters because I looked it up
  • I also noticed that when I would talk to my companions on a mission or on the Normandy, the ship, the subtitles would be very slow at appearing on the screen
  • I was happy for that and made the desire to play Mass Effect 2 even stronger

• by sarahdragon26

I had heard great things about the game series Mass Effect, but after playing the PS3 version of the game, I was not impressed. The storyline did grab me, thou. And I heard the game series was much better when you’ve played all three in order. So I took the shot and tried it. But on the PC. I don’t own an Xbox. For Mass Effect 1 is not available for the PS3 or the PS2. And I have come to prefer games on the PC more and more. More many reasons like graphics, mod additions, and faster loading times.

I had only started the game and already the graphics didn’t impress me. But, again, I wasn’t playing for the graphics. I wanted to know the story from beginning to end and that was why I was playing Mass Effect 1 at all. During many times in the game, my female character’s hair looked like it was made of brown blocks, indeed of straight hair, like in the PS3 version. When she turned her head during a cutscene, her hair was brown blocks against her face. I tried to ignore it, but I couldn’t. That was one of the many things that stood out for me.

I had to reset many of the buttons used for combat or other functions because they were just confusing or all over the keyboard. I don’t have a special gaming keyboard. I have a normal keyboard, so I had to map the functions to buttons that would it easy or available for me to use those functions. I even looked up online to see what the buttons were mapped to in Mass Effect 2 and 3, so I could get used

to the buttons so when I did play 2 and 3, I wouldn’t be pulling out my hair trying to relearn all of the buttons again.

When it came down to the weapons, armor, and vehicles available, I was hoping more and more to be at the end of the game all ready. They were just driving me crazy. The game engine used to upgrade my weapons was easy enough to understand, but I didn’t like the fact that I had collected all this great armor, but as a human, I could only wear a certain kind. And I only got two upgrades in armor during the whole game, while Garrus and Rex, two of my favorite companions got three to five different armor upgrades. In more ways than one, Mass Effect 1 reminded me of Bloodrayne 2 for the PS2. The graphics, the movements, everything was blocky and had a hard time meshing well with everything else around it. Yet, out of everything, there was one things alone that almost made me stop playing. The aiming engine for the guns. I used a hand gun the whole game because the aiming of every other guns just terrible. The radius for where the bullet would land was just too large for many of the guns and there was no way to zoom on the target. I had no idea what I was hitting when I fired a sniper rifle shot. And the vehicle, the Mako, was the bane of my Mass Effect 1 existence. It was just a big tank that I just didn’t like. Strangely enough, I can’t exactly say what it was about the Mako that drove me up the wall, but I hated to ...

• do a mission where I had to drive it. I didn’t like the controls and I just didn’t like the vehicle itself. I wanted to skip some of the side missions, just to not drive it, but I didn’t. I wanted the whole gaming experience.

Another technical problem I noticed was with the voices. They didn’t sound the same as when I saw their characters in PS3’s Mass Effect 3. Garrus’ and Talis’ voices sounded different. And sometimes, Tali sounded like she was talking down a tunnel. I could hear an echo in her voice, like she was really far away, but she was standing beside my character. I know it was the same people voicing the characters because I looked it up. I also noticed that when I would talk to my companions on a mission or on the Normandy, the ship, the subtitles would be very slow at appearing on the screen. Sometimes appearing for a second then disappearing before the character is even finished talking.

Other technical problems I didn’t notice. I don’t think the game crashed at all. There were loading times, yes, but very short. A few seconds at the most. I’ve played far too many games recently where the game crashes for no apparent reason. It was nice to have Mass Effect 1 play without that hassle.

There were a few things that I will taking away from Mass Effect 1 with great pleasure. And one of the most memorable things is the part when the characters are on the Moon. Our Moon. At one point, I stopped the Mako, just overlooking a ridge that had a beautiful image of the Earth behind it. I must have spent ten to 20

minutes just looking at that image on my computer screen. That must be one of the most beautiful sights in life. The Earth from the Moon. How lucky are our astronauts to have seen something as amazing as that.

With all of that out of the way, I was able to focus on the storyline. The main stroyline was not as long as I thought it would be, but it provide some much needed answers to questions I had from the storyline of PS3’s Mass Effect 3. I was happy for that and made the desire to play Mass Effect 2 even stronger. I had been very interested in the backstory of the Reapers and was hoping Mass Effect 1 would have some answers. The game only provided a few thou. There wasn’t much about the creator behind the Reapers. Why they do what they do? There were still many more questions, so hopefully Mass Effect 2 will answer them. I was glad to see that I had high enough good or positive point level to keep Rex alive, but I was saddened to see Ashley die. There are more questions I have and I hope Mass Effect 2 as well as Mass Effect 3 will answer.

This game really has no repay value for me now that I have finished it, discovered the main storyline and have the load game data to continue the story for Mass Effect 2. And I can’t really say if you liked Mass Effect 3, you should play this, for many people I have spoken to have said that Mass Effect 3 was a blight on the Mass Effect name. I will make my own judgment when I have played all three.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2825051576790231/k2311a0525/5.25.12