Betty Crocker Scooby-Doo Fruit Snacks
  • I like to have these handy to stave off cravings for even more indulgent foods

• by KishMahGrits

I’m kind of a fruit snack fanatic. So when I saw these Scooby-Doo themed Betty Crocker fruit snacks at my local grocery store, I just had to try them (because everything tastes better in shapes, right?). They come in a box of ten pouches, with about 8 fruit snacks per pouch. To me, that’s a pretty small serving size. The upside: they’re convenient to carry around if you feel like a small snack on the go. The downside: it’s easy to find yourself having torn through an entire box in one sitting, surrounded by empty wrappers and a lingering sense of guilt. I got these for 1.50 a box with a coupon, so overall I’d say these are a good value for the

money, and even better for kids who don’t need to be eating ten packs of fruit snacks at a time.

A quick comment on the nutritional value: the box claims they are high in vitamin C, naturally flavored, gluten free, and only 80 calories per pouch (which explains the small serving size). While these are all pluses in my book, the box neglects to mention the 12 grams of sugar per pouch – that works out to 1.5 grams of sugar per individual fruit snack. So basically, these things are almost literally pure sugar. But hey, that’s why they’re called snacks! They’re probably not the greatest things in the world for you, but they’re much better than, say, a slice of cake or a ...

• bag of chips. I like to have these handy to stave off cravings for even more indulgent foods.

Now for the important part – the shapes! Each of the six colors corresponds to a different Scooby-Doo character. Red is Daphne, yellow is Fred, orange is Velma, green is the Mystery Machine, purple is Shaggy, and blue is Scooby doo. As with a lot of fruit snacks, the blue ones are more opaque compared to the other colors/flavors. I have no idea why they do that, but there you go. My only complaint on the color front is that there aren’t enough red ones (always my favorite). There is usually only one red one in each package, and sometimes there aren’t any at all.

I guess Betty Crocker has something against Daphne.

In addition to the fun shapes, these fruit snacks taste great. They all have that intense fruity flavor that I look for in fruit snacks – the outside is relatively tasteless, but the flavor bursts in your mouth as you start to chew. Combined with their pleasantly chewy texture, these things are practically addictive. Each color seems to have a distinctive flavor to it, but the information on the box is a bit puzzling. There are six colors, but only four flavors (strawberry, grape, orange, and cherry). How do the two extra colors factor in? Most importantly, what flavor are the blue ones? If only we had a group of teenage detectives to solve THAT mystery…

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2722051576270231/k2311a0522/5.22.12