Wellcome Supermarket 24H, Causeway Bay, HK  » Shopping  »
26 Great George Street, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
  • The best part about living along Patterson Road in Causeway Bay is the proximity to the nearby supermarket which is called Wellcome
  • What I like about Wellcome is that everything I need is in there
  • I love how the pink salmon looks really, really fresh and everything goes on discount (almost 20-40%) starting 8pm (roughly) onwards
  • They cost around HK$20 each bottle and the bottles look great too with a narrow tip

• by asg

I have been going to Hong Kong and stayed in apartments along Patterson Road. The best part about living along Patterson Road in Causeway Bay is the proximity to the nearby supermarket which is called Wellcome. Wellcome Supermarket is a grocery store that is open for 24 hours, which I truly, truly love because I often come back to my apartment around 11pm and somehow whenever I need stuff cheaper than 7-11’s, this is the place to go.

What I like about Wellcome is that everything I need is in there. Their fruits are fresh enough and vegetables have a vast selection. I was able to purchase Japanese Fuji Apples for HK$79 for 2 pieces. They have different berries, pomegranates and huge strawberries. They also have a pack of Gala Apples for HK$20 more or less.

They also sell

freshly baked goods, like different breads, pastries and custom-made sandwiches (if you choose to) or premade ones. They have an area for cooked food too, and I have bought fried rice, some pork viand, noodles, etc for easy eating when I don’t feel like spending money in a restaurant. Everything comes in a nice plastic container and they give you plastic utensils too. My favorite area of the supermarket is the fresh seafood area where they sell different pre-packed freshly made sushi and sashimi! I love how the pink salmon looks really, really fresh and everything goes on discount (almost 20-40%) starting 8pm (roughly) onwards! My husband and I are crazy about sushi and sashimi and we didn’t have to go to Genki Sushi to eat our favorite salmon.

There is a fresh fruit juice area where you could ...

• pick your favorite fresh fruit shake/juices, and they make healthy combinations like fresh carrot and apples, kiwi juice, watermelon, and fresh orange juice with real pulp bits. They cost around HK$20 each bottle and the bottles look great too with a narrow tip. There is a crepe section where you could pick what fruit crepes you like and they will make it for you.

There are medications for emergency near the counters where you could buy stuff like pain relievers, cold and cough, flu medications, antacids and condoms. It is great because sometimes 7-11 don’t carry lots of meds that we sometimes would need and Wellcome is just around the corner when Mannings and Watsons’ are a little bit far. One warning though, sometimes the queue lines are long probably because lots of people want to go shopping

in Wellcome than any other supermarkets in the area. However the lines move quite fast as the counter people work quickly. When you pay there is a nice LCD monitor that shows you the products you have bought with corresponding prices as the lady moves your items over the bar code scanners. So you already know how much you are paying and what you are paying for. I love how this works.

I like shopping in Wellcome Supermarket because it is nearby, they carry lots of stuff, they have lots of food that are pre-cooked, sandwiches, fruits etc and medications. The perfect part of it is that it is open 24hours. Plastic bags are not big in HK and you have to pay extra for that, so better carry a reusable bag which is great because they are big in recycling here.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2421051576150931/k2311a0521/5.21.12