Shutter Island (2010 film)  » Movies  »
  • Martin Scorsese won me with The Departed and continued his amazing streak of great movies with Shutter Island-a psychological thriller motion picture for which I thought that I literraly watched in one breath although throughout the film I was usually out of one
  • I felt afraid for him all along the film and slowly but surely I started to lose confidence that I know who he is up until the very end when the truth is revealed that he is in fact the insane one and the people around him are not enemies but the only ones that can save him

• by Svetozar

Martin Scorsese won me with The Departed and continued his amazing streak of great movies with Shutter Island-a psychological thriller motion picture for which I thought that I literraly watched in one breath although throughout the film I was usually out of one. Tedy Daniels (Leonardo Di Caprio) arrives with his partner Chuck (Mark Ruffalo) on Shutter Island to investigate the missing of a patient who had escaped from a mental instutituion for the criminally insane. The more their investigation continues, the more Tedy‘s dark past is being revealed along with the true malicious apparent natrue of the hospital they are investigating. My most favorite character is Tedi, without doubt.

He is a man that has on his shoulders a number of psychological traumas-terrfiying dreams, horrible nightmares and yet even when he arrives in this dreadful, filled with madness and pain place, he still withstands it and countinues boldly his venture.

Apart from that what I admire at him is the way that he is completely alone, thoroughly deserted but still doesn‘t quit and continues alone forward-he climbs down a cliff, he ventures alone towards the lighthouse, he embarks on a perillious journey to the corridors of Ward C filled with the most dangerous insane criminals. He completely overshadows Mark Ruffalo and Ben Kingsley‘s strong performances-Leonardo Di Caprio goes so deep in the role, he simply didn‘t allow me to take my eyes off the screen.

His emotional breakdown at the ending scene, which alone devastates you with its brutal nature-a father taking out of the lake his three drowned kids is recognizavle by me as some of the 2010‘s finest acting skills. His performance makes for me one third of this film‘s magnificent quality. The other third belongs entirely to the genius of Martin Scorsese.

This is one of the few movies, which are touched ...

• to perfection from the director Absolutely every scene contributes to and affects me with the dark, horrendoulsy frightening sensation that this film is supported by a stunningly effective music. I watched the film without taking my eyes of the screen for one second, it is so gaze attracting, spectacular, captivating, rich in so many thrills and great levels of tension. It almost feels like horror movie poetry.

The most spectacular scenes for me is especially the two dream sequences, both of which left me stunned and shocked with fear. The moments like the venture in Ward C, and the climbing down the cliff along with the emergence of rats all around the protagonist all struck me down with fear. The cinematography of the film is beautiful in its own way, in a way that summons great amount of fear and disturbance out of thin air.

The final ingredient for this film’s greatness is without

doubt the story. You begin the film convinced in Danny’s sanity and his righteous activity on the island. I felt afraid for him all along the film and slowly but surely I started to lose confidence that I know who he is up until the very end when the truth is revealed that he is in fact the insane one and the people around him are not enemies but the only ones that can save him.

It is one of the most shocking and surprising endings I have seen in a film. This is a film about the painful, violent life of the madman. The world seems wonderful when you live in your own world and feels heart-breaking in the real one.

A lesson which the film taught me is that maybe all mad people were once normal, before something overwhelmingly terrible has happened in their lives. 10/10 for this amazing, clever, psychologically thrilling film.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 116051574801031/k2311a056/5.6.12