Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Oil-free Toner  » Cosmetics  »
  • Apart from myself, however, I recommend it for dry to normal skin

• by jhunie

I’m going back to toners once again after some “self-debate”. I speculate my skin has gotten too sensitive for toning and that alcohol has much to do with it. The Kiehl’s ultra facial oil-free toner seems like a good toner to get started.

The main thrust is to incorporate an alcohol-free toner in my cleansing regimen. To nix alcohol is really a foolhardy decision coming from someone who is acne-prone, and to deny myself of the oil-controlling function of toners with adequate amounts of alcohol is a compromise in keeping my oils in check. I went through a period of not toning, and my face was secreting less oil. In other words, something about astringent toners was making my skin oily and in effect prone to zits. Assuming it’s the alcohol, I limited my choices to alcohol-free alternatives. In addition to being oil-free, the ultra facial toner contains no alcohol (or “lacking” alcohol, in the context of oily skin). But does it grant my

skin less oils? Not at all. I can only use the toner in the evening, ideally after cleansing, because it’s too emollient for morning use, much worse when I wear moisturizer on top. The dewy feel of the toner clings on my face longer. Alcohol facilitates the absorption of ingredients, and constitutes the astringent formula of cleansing toners that evaporate readily on skin. Which explains why, by virtue of being alcohol-free, the Kiehl’s ultra facial toner takes time to get absorbed.

My skin is definitively oily, sometimes less so on the cheeks, but to say that I have combination skin is really understating the fact. It’s hard to believe that the toner is ‘formulated to visibly reduce oils’, as seen on the blurb, because empirically it does nothing on this area. My face adjusts to the toner better without moisturizer. For oily skin like mine, the level of hydration it provides already doubles as moisturizer (it’s heavy on glycerin). It hydrates more ...

• than any of my past toners and on its own feels like a diluted serum (maybe too light for dry or normal skin types). Skipping moisturizer is another compromise, but I honestly can do without it at night. At AM my moisturizer serves as an accessible source of sun protection, so to apply a refreshing toner such as this is an excess.

In the aspect of cleansing, the toner takes the supporting role alongside my excellent cleanser. Harsh antiseptics and clarifying ingredients I’m accustomed to using are expelled in the toner, as can be gleaned from the ingredients list, which consists mostly of slip agents and preservatives. Kiehl’s deems this to be a holistic product, and includes that ‘it removes any remaining residue, dirt and oil’. I can’t identify which among its relatively “bland” ingredients fits that lofty description. Nevertheless, it does remove dirt – the evidence is on the cotton pad as well as traces of makeup. If not for this I would be

quick to dismiss it as useless.

At best the toner has done a good job in normalizing the erratic texture of my face. It feels smoother now, as opposed to the tight and drying effects of astringents. My week isn’t complete without a glycolic acid peel, which is essential to prevent the buildup of sebum. I get a disparate combination of oil slick and flaky patches as a result, but the toner helps to even out the texture. Unlike the Clinique mild clarifying lotion, which contains salicylic acid, it doesn’t address acne inasmuch as it’s not really a treatment for that (the formula is innocuous). The all-important disclosure is that – *drumroll* – I don’t break out with this. I really have a sketchy conviction of this toner – it hydrates, cleanses, but is at odds with my oily skin. Apart from myself, however, I recommend it for dry to normal skin. I will use up the bottle and try another alcohol-free toner I can use with abandon.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 312051574490531/k2311a052/5.2.12