Dog Training at PetSmart  » Pets  »
PetSmart store in Lewisville and Fort Worth, Texas
  • I know that these two items have kept many dogs in their happy homes
  • The cost was about $100 for the entire session

• by Knox Brown

Thank goodness for PetSmart and its affordable dog training classes. Manu is my first dog. She is a big, fuzzy, slobbery, hyperactive golden retriever. I am the last in my family to own a dog. I have shared my entire life with big dogs. Not average dogs, but really well-behaved dogs with lots of ribbons and medals attesting to their obedience.

When I got Manu, I knew much would be expected of us. Enter PetSmart. They have dog training classes at several different levels at a great price. Manu the Misbehaving and I started in the puppy class. The first day, I was a nervous wreck.

I didn’t know how to have Manu come when I called her. Enter the dog trainer, affectionately known as Teacher.

The first thing Teacher did was introduce us to the clicker and the liver treat. I know that these two items have kept many dogs in their happy homes. Teacher taught me how to use the clicker correctly and when to give Manu a treat to reward proper behavior.

Once I had the click/reward system down, training was simple. Manu and I breezed through puppy class. Manu actually graduated at the top of the class. At the end of six weeks, Manu could sit, stay, come, leave it, and shake. I tried to teach her to roll over, but Teacher explained that large dogs do not do roll over because of their size.

Manu sure did try. When Manu and I were ready for intermediate training ...

• class we had moved to a neighboring city. PetSmart did not let us down. There was a store with dog training near our new home. When we started the new class, I discovered that the protocols were the same.

This Teacher taught in exactly the same way as the previous Teacher. Consistency is everything in dog training. By the end of the second class, Manu was able sit and stay without seeing me for five minutes. I could put a treat in front of Manu’s nose and she would leave it there until I gave her permission to take it. Heeling was a little harder, but PetSmart dog training gave me the tools to teach it.

The PetSmart classes Manu and I took each lasted seven weeks,

one hour per week. The cost was about $100 for the entire session. It was far less than I expected to pay for the class. With each class, you get PetSmart’s handouts reviewing what was learned each week. Individual classes are also available.

I have taken Manu in a few times for fine tuning on playing with other dogs and keeping her mouth shut while I groom her. Those classes are about $15 for half an hour. I used the PetSmart stores in Lewisville and Fort Worth, Texas for the training classes. I have also boarded Manu at a Minneapolis, Minnesota area store, where she had a private training lesson. I was equally pleased with her treatment.

I feel safe leaving Manu in the hands of PetSmart professionals anywhere.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 291051574240231/k2311a051/5.1.12