ASUS 1025C-MU17-BK Netbook  » Computers  »
  • I decided to get this ASUS netbook while it is on sale
  • The firs thing I noticed on this netbook is the storage capacity of the hard disk drive
  • My previous netbook only had a hard disk of 250 GB so this greater capacity is definitely a benefit, especially since the pre-installed software trials takes up a lot of disk space
  • There are many more efficient and lighter programs out there that cost less and are more effective
  • I suggest using portable versions of applications whenever possible

• by MisterTickle

I decided to get this ASUS netbook while it is on sale. It has been quite a while since I’ve used an ASUS netbook. This netbook actually has some really nice specs compared to other netbooks. My Acer is a bit worn out so it this ASUS one will be replacing it.

The firs thing I noticed on this netbook is the storage capacity of the hard disk drive. I’ve actually never seen a hard disk drive of 320 GB on a netbook until now. My previous netbook only had a hard disk of 250 GB so this greater capacity is definitely a benefit, especially since the pre-installed software trials takes up a lot of disk space. When I got this netbook and set it up, I got less than 300 GB of free space. I got 287 GB of free storage. The operating system took up a few GBs, but the pre-installed software took up even more. The first thing I had to do was uninstall all the useless programs.

I call these programs useless because they are generally known as “crapware”. They get the job done, but they aren’t the most efficient ones to use, especially when I have to pay for them. There are many more efficient and lighter programs out there that cost less and are more effective. I definitely recommend you do not use the pre-installed applications. Just simply uninstall them like I did and then free up some extra space for other stuff you want to put on. One thing I find annoying is that some programs refuse to uninstall. This is when I have to manually delete the registry keys and then delete them from the program files folder. This process is a bit of a pain, but definitely worth it. After uninstalling some of them, I upgraded my Windows 7 Starter to Ultimate. I have the disk and there are a few more installs left on them. I bought the disk for multiple computers. I connected my external optical drive with the netbook because the netbook doesn’t come with a disk reader. After upgrading, I noticed that my program files were wiped clean. Windows put them in a separate folder. I ended up just deleting that folder to remove all the pre-installed programs left on. I find this probably easier, but not everyone has an upgrade disk.

The actual usage is pretty good. This netbook took several hours to charge to a full battery. Don’t ask me how long it took because I wasn’t really paying attention. I know for sure that it can recharge to full overnight because that is what I did. I wasn’t around to actually time how long it took, definitely will take a few hours. The six cell battery gives me a lot of power, which is very beneficial. With my old three cell netbook, I can only make the battery last for 2.5 hours. With this netbook, I was capable of getting roughly five hours and more depending on my usage. If I am streaming a video or something ...

• ASUS 1025C-MU17-BK Netbook
      like that, then the battery will obviously drain quicker compared to if I was just doing some offline work. The battery life varies. I downloaded a third party application called “BatteryCare” to monitor my battery usage. At the same time, it can tell me the CPU temperature and a whole bunch of things. I read that this application is much more accurate than Windows native battery bar.

In terms of the hardware equipped, I prefer to upgrade my RAM from 1GB to 2GB. The Intel Atom N2600 is a dual core processor with minimized power consumption and faster response time. However, the RAM is only 1GB, which causes freeze ups and unresponsive windows. This doesn’t happen if I am doing a single task on hand, but it does occur if I am trying to do two things at once. The RAM cannot handle it. It is much better to just upgrade the RAM. I am using a Crucial 204 pin 2GB RAM as it was recommended to me. On the Crucial

website, they have a RAM scanner to tell me what the best RAM version I should get and I simply followed their advice. After a RAM upgrade, everything runs pretty smoothly now. I would actually say that this is an essential step and should be done when you get the netbook.

Finally, there is one more thing I would like to mention. I suggest using portable versions of applications whenever possible. The hard disk space isn’t exactly very big so it would make sense to conserve space whenever possible and make the most out of it. For example, my web browser is a portable version of Firefox. Portable versions don’t take up too much memory as they don’t perform all the tasks a full version application does. Also, portable versions make deleting applications easier as you don’t have to go through the whole process of uninstalling through the control panel. It is possible to just hit the delete button. Overall, this ASUS is very reliable and I am fully satisfied with it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1926041574000230/k2311a0426/4.26.12