Little Shop of Crafts (Pottery Painting Store)  » Business  »
431 East 73rd Street, New York, NY 10021
  • I haven’t done this since I was very young, so I thought it would be a nice change of pace to do it as an adult
  • The prices here are a bit steep, however I believe they are pretty standard for Manhattan
  • There was not a huge color selection, with only about twenty options, however it was good enough to meet our needs and there were definitely some pretty standout choices
  • I was happy to discover that upon checking in on Yelp, I was given a 20% off coupon which allowed me to pick a piece bigger than I normally would have chosen and therefore have a bit more fun

• by agoobacha

My friend and I wanted to do something a bit creative and different on a Wednesday night so we decided to paint some pottery. I haven’t done this since I was very young, so I thought it would be a nice change of pace to do it as an adult. After doing a basic search on yelp, we discovered Little Shop of Crafts which not only stayed open later for us working individuals, but also offered “adult night” fun with the addition of free wine. We were all set for a creative night and set out to the Upper East Side location as Little Shop has a West Side one as well.

The place is a long walk from the train, which makes it a bit inconvenient; however it is also a charming little area where it is pleasant to walk so we did not mind that much. It might be less fun to walk all the way there in the snow or rain however. The space is not very large but it is colorful and decorated in a

very warm, fresh manner with painted examples and colorful doors and countertops to set the crafty mood. There is also a fairly spacious back room which can be reserved for birthday parties and larger events. The majority of the front room is taken over by the pottery, obviously, and there is a good deal to choose from. They even have a mosaic station if that is your craft of choice. The prices here are a bit steep, however I believe they are pretty standard for Manhattan. The only pottery painting I had done was in Brooklyn and years ago so I was a bit taken aback. The cheapest item is probably somewhere around $25, but this would be the smallest most basic cup or plate you can find on the shelves, so not nearly as fun.

After we selected and paid for our pieces we were allowed to choose as many colors as we wanted and begin painting. There was not a huge color selection, with only about twenty options, however it was good enough to meet our ...

• needs and there were definitely some pretty standout choices.

I was happy to discover that upon checking in on Yelp, I was given a 20% off coupon which allowed me to pick a piece bigger than I normally would have chosen and therefore have a bit more fun.

Although wine was advertised on this particular night at the time we were there, we did not see any and no one else was asking so we felt awkward bringing it up. The two people that worked here were no more than 20 years old and did not seem extremely friendly so we did not want to approach them much. However, my friend tripped and broke two of the pieces on the shelves and they did not make her pay for them which was extremely nice so there’s not much to say negatively in the way of service.

There is a huge variety of brushes available and the tables are long, communal types where everyone can walk around and grab what they need. There was only another group there when we were and

everyone stays pretty quiet and to themselves. I am sure this is a madhouse on the weekends and afternoons when kids are around, but for adult night this was a very calm and peaceful affair.

When we were done we gave our pieces to staff and were informed that the they would be ready after a week. We thought it was a bit strange but we did not get any receipt or paper for picking the piece up. The only way to get our piece must be to mention what it was and our initials, which the workers wrote on the bottom of each item.

Overall this is a warm and friendly environment to be in, the wine has to be asked for, and even then you only get one glass but it’s free so who cares? There is a good selection of colors and the most wonderful part is that there is no sit down fee, which I discovered was pretty standard with these types of places! A nice night out when you want to do something a bit different.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4123041573511130/k2311a0423/4.23.12