Staub Mini Fondue Set  » Housewares  »
  • I enjoy preparing and eating fondue, but have never found a small fondue pot that has worked effectively
  • For this reason I decided to pay more than I usually would, and bought this Staub Mini Fondue set for $68

• by roundabout

I enjoy preparing and eating fondue, but have never found a small fondue pot that has worked effectively. I favor the fondue pot that you use with a small candle rather than the bulkier electric type, but the current generation seem to be flimsy and incredibly unreliable as far as longevity goes. For this reason I decided to pay more than I usually would, and bought this Staub Mini Fondue set for $68. I chose the Cherry version, although the same design is also available in a charcoal black and graphite grey.

Included in this set is the fondue pot itself, the metal stand, four fondue forks and a

small tealight candle. As soon as I first used the set I knew I’d made a good decision as everything feels so sturdy and substantial, the shape is well defined and the roundness of it gives the fondue pot a very modern appearance.  I absolutely adore the red colour, which has stayed bright and true even after numerous uses.

To use it is simple, the tealight isn’t powerful enough to actually melt the foodstuffs in the fondue pot so you’ll need to do this in a pan or in the microwave beforehand. This isn’t a big deal really, although this is the one aspect in which an electric fondue pot wins the battle as these will usually melt your sauce and therefore leave you with one less item to wash up afterwards!  Once you’ve melted your chocolate (as it usually is for me!) you simply pour it into the fondue pot and light the tealight beneath it to keep it warm enough to prevent re-setting.   Serve with sweets or fruit, anything really that you think will compliment the pot of rich melted chocolate you are about to tuck into.

My favourite things to dip are slices of apple, whole strawberries, chunks of banana, small squares of shortbread and marshmallows. These are all pretty standard items to dip ...

• Staub Mini Fondue Set
      into a chocolate fondue but you can ring the changes by using hazelnuts (or any kind of nut really), pieces of chocolate brownie, cookies or even jelly sweets for a Turkish Delight sensation once they’ve been dipped. Ideally you need to look for things that you get easily dig the fondue forks into, but I just use a small teaspoon to dip smaller or harder items.

Of course, chocolate isn’t the only fondue you can make using this beautiful Staub Fondue Kit. Hark back to the 1970s with a cheese fondue; a melted down mix of hard and creamier cheeses will give you a smooth flavoursome sauce ready to

dip your goodies in.  I’m quite boring and like plain old strips of buttered French bread to dip in my cheesy fondue but green apples work fabulously as do chunks of continental sausage, crunchy raw vegetables and even cubes of unmelted cheese will compliment the creamy dip perfectly!

I think this is an excellent fondue set; the color-coded forks have smooth long handles for ease of use, plus keen points to comfortably spear your food ready for dipping into the sauce. The whole thing can be washed up in hot soapy water, a soak will loosen the chocolate or cheese sauce enabling you to wipe it all clean again using just a cloth.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5313041572970330/k2311a0413/4.13.12