Alligator Soul Restaurant in Savannah, Georgia  » Restaurants  »
114 Barnard Street Savannah, GA 31401
  • Located downstairs off of busy Broughton Street in Savannah, Georgia, Alligator Soul is one of the best examples of elegant southern cuisine I've ever tried
  • I would recommend Alligator Soul as one of my favorite restaurants for southern cuisine

• by Melanie Noell

Located downstairs off of busy Broughton Street in Savannah, Georgia, Alligator Soul is one of the best examples of elegant southern cuisine I’ve ever tried.

This is a wonderfully romantic restaurant to visit for a special occasion, and the inviting interior sets the perfect atmosphere to cozy up with friends and loved ones and enjoy a wonderful evening. Alligator Soul can be a bit difficult to find as it is located underground, but the black awning and signature alligator symbol hanging over the staircase will help patrons find the place. Located in downtown historic Savannah, you’ll have to rely on metered parking spots or the garage several blocks away.

Once inside, you’ll see why this is the perfect location for a romantic retreat. The dimly-lit dining room is has a warm ambiance, and the stone walls make it look and feel almost like you’re dining inside of a castle. The ceilings are relatively low, and the dining room is spaced out so

that no tables are too close together. There is a feeling of warmth without being too close to your neighbors, which I really appreciate at a restaurant.

My first visit to Alligator Soul was during the winter in early December, so they were featuring a house-made warm, mulled wine that was complimentary to guests over 21. This was the perfect way to start the evening since it not only gave us a feeling of southern hospitality, but the drink was also the perfect combination of warmth and spices to reflect the upcoming Christmas season. What was even better was that they provided the recipe for the wine to all their guests so we could make it at home! I’ve only ever been in the winter, so I’m not sure if they have a complimentary drink like this all the time; however, it was a very warm welcome.

The menu is relatively simple and seasonally changing. I’m always pleased with restaurants whose menus are short ...

• since it means the chefs have the chance to really focus on the dishes and truly master the flavors - Alligator Soul is no exception. They typically offer a few white meat dishes (chicken or pork etc,) a few seafood dishes, at least one steak dish and a couple southern specialties. There’s always at least one fantastic vegetarian dish. Additionally, the server informed us of two seasonal specials for the evening which we had to try - a grouper filet served in a carved out butternut squash that was filled with squash, cauliflower and a slightly spiced cream sauce. It was absolutely fantastic. As with the best fine dining restaurants, the sides are paired to compliment the main dish, so you don’t have to haphazardly choose your sides. I ordered a salad with my meal which was a great combination of flavors and textures, and it was larger than I expected. You can check out the ever-changing menu at their website: http://www.alligatorsoul.com/

Prices

can get a bit high - most dishes are around $30, though the chicken and vegetarian dishes are typically a bit less. Appetizers run around $10. Our portions were incredibly large, but I did notice that the scallop dish was not quite as large (filling, but wouldn’t have had leftovers.) It’s important to remember that we got complimentary mauled wine and an appetizer “taste” included in the meal. The prices are higher than most in Savannah, but the food is really incredible. The restaurant also offers a fantastic, changing dessert menu with prices averaging about $8-$10. We split some crème brulée, and it was the perfect amount to finish our meal. They also have a fantastic wine list and some tasty specialty cocktails.

This is a great place to go for a romantic evening, but it can also be a nice place to get together with friends for a fantastic meal. I would recommend Alligator Soul as one of my favorite restaurants for southern cuisine.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 79041572221230/k2311a049/4.9.12