Sapphire Grille in Savannah, Georgia  » Restaurants  »
110 West Congress Street  Savannah, GA 31401
  • They have a few seats at the bar, which is very popular, probably because they make the best mojitos in town
  • They do offer a full bar with plenty of wine selections as well, but I think their mojitos are beyond fantastic
  • One problem is that there is rarely much for vegetarians, but there is a lot of seafood choices
  • I love their crab cakes, which I think are always on the menu - or at least some version of them
  • I would recommend this place as a hip meeting place for friends to have a creative meal before heading out for the evening

• by Melanie Noell

This trendy little restaurant located on Congress Street has a great selection of internationally-inspired cuisine, and despite its small size, it is a wonderful location to gather with friends.

Located on Congress Street near what locals refer to as Bank Square (Bull Street and Congress,) this restaurant can be a bit difficult to find thanks to its small size and unassuming sign outside. However, it’s a bit of a hidden gem in Savannah since the restaurant offers some really great food and fantastic drinks which is fitting for its location near many of Savannah’s most popular bars. Parking is especially difficult here since the narrow one-way street its located on quickly fills up with cars; however, the newest parking garage is relatively close and convenient.

Once inside, the atmosphere is welcoming yet hip. There almost seems to be a bluish glow to the coolly decorated interior that reflects the restaurant’s name, Sapphire Grill. The space is very small and most of the seating is tucked against a wall as

booths. They have a few seats at the bar, which is very popular, probably because they make the best mojitos in town. They do offer a full bar with plenty of wine selections as well, but I think their mojitos are beyond fantastic! When the place is busy, you can also sit at the bar and order food. Downstairs, they have space for larger events, too.

I have always had really great service when I come to Sapphire Grill. The waiters have always been very knowledgeable about the food and very good when I ask for recommendations between dishes or recommendations on wine pairings. They’ve also been very good about checking to make sure our drinks are filled and everything is OK.

The food changes seasonally, like many of the upscale restaurants in Savannah. There is a good variety of food on the menu, so most people can find something they will like. The winter menu typically serves up a lot of comforting foods with seasonal vegetables ...

• and rich preparations, while the summer menu is typically lighter with crisp, fresh flavors. One problem is that there is rarely much for vegetarians, but there is a lot of seafood choices. I don’t eat meat, but I do eat fish, so I always have to make sure there’s no other meat in the preparation - as long as I ask to hold the bacon or whatever meat is hidden in the meal for flavor, they have always honored my requests. Many of my friends have had the duck there and it is one of their favorite dishes. I love their crab cakes, which I think are always on the menu - or at least some version of them. The aioli is fantastic, and the texture of the crab cakes is delicious. Even though it’s an appetizer, the dish is quite filling.

They also serve a shrimp and grits plate on occasion which is fantastic! It was the first time I actually liked grits!

You can check the

menu as it changes or make reservations at their website online: http://www.sapphiregrill.com/ It’s somewhat difficult to navigate, but you can find all these features here.

The prices are similar to other upscale restaurants in the area - relatively high. The appetizers are quite in depth and run anywhere from $10-$20. I have to say, they are also some of the most creative dishes on the menu as well as some of the most creative I’ve seen in Savannah. The entrees are between $30-$35 on average, and the portions are filling, though not enough that you’d have much to take home. They do use quality ingredients and have some very unique preparations, though. The drinks are pricey as well with most of the specialty drinks running $10 and up.

I love starting my evening here because Sapphire Grill is in such close proximity to some of my favorite bars downtown. I would recommend this place as a hip meeting place for friends to have a creative meal before heading out for the evening.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 79041572171230/k2311a049/4.9.12