GROM Gelato (Restaurant)  » Restaurants  »
233 Bleecker Street, New York NY 10022
  • There is a menu over the heads of the cashiers that states all of the options for gelato, unfortunately there really aren’t as many as one would hope
  • Another big problem for us was that most of the selections have nuts in them and we had a person with a terrible nut allergy who was really only able to chose from one gelato option and the sorbets
  • That’s definitely pretty pricy for a tiny cup of ice cream, but it’s gelato and it’s Italian so I expected something of the sort
  • The gelato was definitely delicious, very rich and creamy, more so than average ice cream, however it did end up being way too much after just a couple of bites

• by agoobacha

Grom is a gelato place in the village. It’s gotten a great deal of publicity, probably because it looks so like a European café, or at least how people may picture European cafes. I have never had a great interest in stopping in at this place, but when a few of my friends went out to dinner in the area and wanted a dessert to walk with, this looked like a good option.

There’s not much to the interior of this place, it’s pretty small, very open corner shop with a few tables that are kind of on the border of being outside but are still inside. There is a menu over the heads of the cashiers that states all of the options for gelato, unfortunately there really aren’t as many as one would hope.

I get the idea here, most European gelatterias probably don’t have nearly as many options as a local Baskin Robbins in the United States, and this is the vibe this place is trying to project, however the options that are available are so specific that it’s not that easy to find something if you’re a picky eater. There aren’t for example any basic vanilla, chocolate, strawberry selections on this menu. Another big problem for us was that most of the selections have nuts in them and we had a person with a terrible nut allergy who was really only able to chose from one gelato option and the sorbets.

Everything is very Italian and chock full of expensive sounding ingredients such as Venezuelan Palmira plantation chocolate or espresso coffee from Huehuetenango highlands. I don’t know about most people, but I certainly don’t need this amount of pedigree for my ice cream, so the pretentiousness here is a bit offputting. The service reflects that kind of attitude as well, which is probably why it matters in the first place. We were allowed to sample a few options before settling on a flavor, however the man behind the counter did not give out the samples with a smile and in fact seemed to be annoyed by our existence. After trying a couple of things I went with the Crema di Grom, which was starred and seemed to be some kind of house specialty. Fancy description aside, this was basically rich vanilla ice cream with sweet soft cookies and coffee chocolate chips. A couple of my friends went with the same decision ...

• GROM Gelato (Restaurant)
      and the friend with the nut allergy ordered the Tre Verde which is basically green tea ice cream and also the only option available to him if he wanted to enjoy gelato. I was not that hungry and it was not that warm, so I ordered the smallest cup available, and paid close to $5 for it! That’s definitely pretty pricy for a tiny cup of ice cream, but it’s gelato and it’s Italian so I expected something of the sort. My boyfriend opted for the same flavor but in a large and paid close to $10 which he did not expect and was probably a bad idea.

of bites. My small was even a bit too much for me and I could not finish and my boyfriend gave up a quarter of the way into his large and unfortunately had no choice but to toss this very expensive treat in the trash. The flavor was mostly a successful choice, with the coffee chocolate chips adding a nice bitterness component to the very sweet cream, however I was not a huge fan of the cookies or “biscuits” because they tasted stale and were a bit too thick for my liking.

Would I come back here? Doubtful. There are a great deal of dessert and ice cream options in this area and Grom was distinguished only by its pomposity in my mind. I don’t need to pay that much money for something that I won’t even be able to finish.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 75041572090330/k2311a045/4.5.12