FoxHorn Vineyards South Eastern Australia Shiraz  » Food  »
1.5
  • The taste isn't much better or different - there is definitely a strong vinegar-like flavor, especially as an aftertaste
  • Another thing I noticed right away that unlike most (decent) wines, there is no subtlety to the flavors
  • If you appreciate wine whatsoever, stay away from this bargain wine because you will definitely be disappointed

• by Melanie Noell

I asked my boyfriend to pick up some red wine while he was at the grocery store, preferably Shiraz, and he came home with this. I had given him $10 to pick up something, and for some reason he decided to go by quantity rather than quality. This wine is extremely disappointing, and I will not be purchasing it again.

For a large 1.5 liter bottle of wine, it should be common sense that for $8, it won’t be very good. However, I wasn’t there to look at the wine. Another tip off

is that the bottle has a screw top as opposed to a cork, which probably contributed to the bitter taste. Although there is a “Best Buy” sticker on it from the Beverage Testing Institute from August 2010, this is by no means a good buy.

When I first smelled the wine, it was potent, which was bad news. You get an almost vinegary smell when you open the bottle, and it’s very strong. The taste isn’t much better or different - there is definitely a strong vinegar-like flavor, especially as an aftertaste. Shiraz ...

• is my favorite type of wine, so this was very disappointing; in fact, this is barely recognizable as a Shiraz. Another thing I noticed right away that unlike most (decent) wines, there is no subtlety to the flavors. You can taste grapes and bitterness, and that’s about it. It seems a bit heavy, texture-wise in the mouth, but it’s hard to tell because I didn’t want to keep it in my mouth for very long.

There are a few positives about this wine. First off, for $8, it’s a ton of wine.

If you’ve lost your taste buds or you don’t really mind potent, even bad wine, you might not hate this. Another good thing is that I didn’t seem to get a headache or anything from drinking it - I did actually manage to drink 2 glasses because I kept thinking maybe it would get better. It didn’t, but at least I didn’t get a headache from it!

If you appreciate wine whatsoever, stay away from this bargain wine because you will definitely be disappointed. The only decent thing about it is the price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 274041571740130/k2311a044/4.4.12