pfSense Firewall  » Software  »
  • It has most of the features available on commercial firewalls and it does not cost a single dime
  • I have never used FreeBSD but even the first time I used pfSense I found its options easy to configure
  • The web filter is not an option that is available by default, there is when another awesome feature of pfSense comes in, there are many plug-ins and modules that extend the firewall's capabilities and the best part is that the plug-ins can be downloaded and installed from the very web configuration interface

• by protoboardmx

There are many firewall solutions available; many of them are very expensive. At work, I have had to install a few firewalls to protect our networks but as we don’t have any big budget I have always tried to implement free firewall solutions. One of those free firewalls is pfSense, a firewall / router distribution based on FreeBSD. It has most of the features available on commercial firewalls and it does not cost a single dime.

pfSense can be installed on any computer, it may be a server or a PC, the only requirement is that the computer must have two (or more) network interfaces, one that connects to the Internet and another to connect to

the local network. pfSense has a web configuration interface that let you control the entire system. This interface is great because it makes it really easy to configure the firewall and other services (like a proxy or a dns server), even for inexperienced users. I have never used FreeBSD but even the first time I used pfSense I found its options easy to configure.

A few months back I deployed a pfSense system using the latest version available (which on January 2012 was version 2.0.1). The installation process took just a few minutes (about 5 minutes on an Intel i7 system with 4 GB of RAM), and it was very easy to follow. When it finished ...

• and the system was fully loaded I could point my browser to the web configuration tool and start using the firewall. A really nice feature about pfSense is that although on the computer it is installed there is no graphic interface it does have a very intuitive console menu. That menu can be used to change some system settings without any trouble.

pfSense 2.0.1 is an awesome firewall. The latest system I installed is being used as a proxy server and to filter web content. The web filter is not an option that is available by default, there is when another awesome feature of pfSense comes in, there are many plug-ins and modules that extend the

firewall’s capabilities and the best part is that the plug-ins can be downloaded and installed from the very web configuration interface. That is something that is not present on other free firewall distributions like IPCop. There are many modules to choose from so it is very easy to have a pfSense that fits very special needs.

For me pfSense is the best firewall available for free. I haven’t really used much paid systems but for what I have seen pfSense does not have anything to envy to many commercial systems. It is very easy to use and configure and it provides a very high level of protection. I’m sure I will keep using and recommending pfSense.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 302041571390130/k2311a042/4.2.12