NordicWare Sweetheart Rose Baking Pan  » Housewares  »
  • I adore baking and am very much a girly girl, so when I saw this stunning Sweetheart Rose Baking Pan on the NordicWare website I bought it instantly
  • I've found that brownies come out the best, but the dark cakes then mean much of the delicate detail of the rose can't be seen

• by roundabout

I adore baking and am very much a girly girl, so when I saw this stunning Sweetheart Rose Baking Pan on the NordicWare website I bought it instantly.  Cupcakes are one of my favourite things to bake, this is a substantial baking pan designed to cook twelve rosebud shaped cakes - in typical NordicWare style this isn’t a boring oblong cake pan, the rosebuds are arranged in a circular pattern so that head-on it looks like a bunch of roses.

The pan is made from cast aluminum and features a non-stick lining plus the addition of platinum on the exterior to aid the browning process. It’s a

very sturdy feeling pan, lifting it in and out of the oven is a completely safe business as there’s no sag or give whatsoever in the pan.  I find the ‘danger time’ is usually as you place the filled cold pan into the oven ready for baking, the shifting wet cake mixture can make less well made cake pans feel unbalanced but the quality and general ’roundness’ of the pan makes it lovely and stable to hold.

The depth and angular shaping of the cake holes give it a very detailed and busy looking appearance - I don’t put mine away in the cupboard as turned upside down it makes a gorgeous ornament on my kitchen shelf.

There’s a problem for me with this excellent cake pan however, I bought it to create the stunning rose shaped sponges I’d seen on the NordicWare website. It works (usually) although to get the perfect rosebud shaping you need to use a dense cake mixture - the recipe printed on the sleeve is perfect density-wise, but it doesn’t make particularly tasty cakes. I’ve found that brownies come out the best, but the dark cakes then mean much of the delicate detail of the rose can’t be seen.  You need a recipe with the consistency of a brownie,

• NordicWare Sweetheart Rose Baking Pan
      but for appearance sake you need a lightly coloured sponge - I made a fantastic batch recently using a heavy muffin mixture and added a few drops of red food colouring for beautiful pink roses.

The fact that all the patterning is on the top of the cake means you can’t really ice them, which is a shame as that’s the best part of a cupcake!  I’ve cut the cakes in half horizontally and neatly piped some buttercream inside, but this is fiddly and can easily make your cakes look a mess.

The non-stick interior works really well, despite the fairly intricate design of the curled rose petals.

The cakes have always tapped out in one piece and I’ve never had a single one stick, sometimes when I’ve used a too-light cake mixture the petals lose their definition - this is the fault of the recipe though, not the pan.

I think $33 is a little bit on the expensive side for this pan. It’s a great novelty to own and you can get some excellent results, but the fact that they can’t be iced mean the kids (ie. the ones I tend to bake the cupcakes for) aren’t too impressed - they also like the kind of fluffy cupcake density that is absolutely useless for making rosebuds!

Sonia Berekson says :

This sounds beautiful, I love roses so think I would like to buy this. Do Nordic Ware make a larger pan to make more cupcakes in a batch?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5330031571151231/k2311a0330/3.30.12