NordicWare Cake Pops Kit  » Housewares  »
  • I went on a one day cake pop course recently and really enjoyed making them, the problem was that when I got home I just couldn't shape them properly
  • I'd definitely recommend sourcing more sticks before using your kit to save disappointment, or to be honest cake pops taste just as good without sticks so unless you're desperate for cake pops (as opposed to plain simple balls of cake) it's perfectly possible to make as many batches as you want and just pile them up in a dish

• by roundabout

I went on a one day cake pop course recently and really enjoyed making them, the problem was that when I got home I just couldn’t shape them properly.  I happened to be on the website of my favourite cookware brand, NordicWare, when I spotted a Cake Pop Kit priced at just $18 - I had to buy it, and when it arrived I was instantly pleased with my purchase.

The kit is basically make up of a two-piece pan and 24 cake pop sticks - my pan is a vibrant green colour but I believe there are other colours available.

To use the

kit you make up your cake mixture and fill the base pan (ie. the one without the holes), pop the top pan into place and use the metal tabs to secure the two halves together. During baking the cake mixture will rise to fill both sides of the pan, when cooled you’ll be left with perfectly round balls of cake once you’ve removed them from the pans.  The holes, in case you were wondering, are to allow steam to escape during the baking process and also while cooling.

The cake pop pan is made from cast aluminum, which has received a non-stick coating inside. This is excellent as the balls of cake literally fall out of the pan after baking, it also makes washing up a lot easier as all the pan needs really is a rinse under the hot tap to remove all residue of cake mixture.  After cooling you can ice the cake pops and/or coat them in sprinkles for a totally personalised finish - not forgetting to push the stick into them of course, otherwise it wouldn’t be a cake pop!

The pan makes twelve cake pops at a time, although they only take around ten minutes to bake so it’s worth ...

• NordicWare Cake Pops Kit
      making up enough mixture for a few batches and keeping them in an airtight tin for a couple of days so you always have a supply of cake pops on hand.  A recipe is printed on the cardboard sleeve, it’s actually a very nice recipe (a dense vanilla flavoured sponge) but my favourite way to make a cake pop is currently to use a chocolate brownie recipe - obviously as the cake pops are cooked covered you won’t get the delicious crunchy exterior, but brownie cake pops coated in a rich buttercream icing are the height of decadence!

One point I will make

is that the cake pop sticks are of the paper variety so obviously cannot be reused - with the kit you are supplied with enough to make two batches, but that’s not nearly enough as each bowl of cake mixture will make three or four lots. I’d definitely recommend sourcing more sticks before using your kit to save disappointment, or to be honest cake pops taste just as good without sticks so unless you’re desperate for cake pops (as opposed to plain simple balls of cake) it’s perfectly possible to make as many batches as you want and just pile them up in a dish!

Susie says :

Hi, could you share the vanilla recipe? I got the chocolate recipe on my package. Thanks

Alice replies :

Hi

I’m sorry but I didn’t keep the recipe as I threw the sleeve away There’s a good one that I use on the UK recipe site, we’re not allowed to post links but the site is Good To Know Recipes - once you’re on there just search for the ‘Basic Cake Pops’ recipe.

Thanks, Alice

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5328031570830431/k2311a0328/3.28.12