NordicWare Train Cake Pan  » Housewares  »
  • I bought this Train Cake Pan directly from NordicWare after my nephew requested a 'choo choo' cake for his birthday, I wanted to do something a little different to the usual train cakes and this one looked ideal
  • They come out bigger than the average cake so for smaller children I cut them in half, I'd say the eating experience is more of a large muffin than a more delicate cupcake - I myself can't get through an iced full train carriage, although my four year old can if she's in the mood

• by roundabout

I bought this Train Cake Pan directly from NordicWare after my nephew requested a ‘choo choo’ cake for his birthday, I wanted to do something a little different to the usual train cakes and this one looked ideal.  It’s different in the fact that the cake is made up of nine individual cupcakes/muffins, which can be arranged in a line to make it look like one long cake.

The pan itself is made from cast aluminum which helps the cakes to bake to their excellently detailed finish, the aluminum also conducts heat perfectly to ensure the cakes are light and fluffy all the way through to the middle. The interior has a non-stick surface and I’ve had a 100% success rate with popping the cakes out in one piece, as long as you spoon

the wet mixture into the pan carefully you will have beautifully detailed cakes every time.

There’s a recipe for a basic vanilla sponge on the cardboard sleeve that’s wrapped around the pan, this creates a tasty cake but I’ve found a heavier chocolate cake (or even rich fruit cake) works much better with regards to the appearance of the finished train as these darker cakes seem to show off the detail so much better.

NordicWare have designed this beautifully, you can tell by looking at the selection of train carriages that plenty of thought has gone into it. The front of the train is wonderfully detailed with small funnels and drivers compartment, the rest of the carriages being made to look mainly like freight containers although a couple of passenger compartments are there too. The cake ...

• needs icing really if it’s been made for a child; this can either be an elaborate sheet icing affair or a more simple piped set of details to accentuate the windows or borders of the various carriages. I ‘connected’ the carriages using liquorice laces and that looked good, although caused a bit of squabbling when I came to disconnect them all and we realised that some children had a lace and some didn’t!

I’ve made the train cake both to make birthday cakes and also just when I fancy making unusually shaped cupcakes for my children. They come out bigger than the average cake so for smaller children I cut them in half, I’d say the eating experience is more of a large muffin than a more delicate cupcake - I myself can’t get

through an iced full train carriage, although my four year old can if she’s in the mood!

The pan washes up nicely, it’s dishwasher safe but I always do it by hand as it’s such an easy job even if I’ve dripped a few blobs of cake onto the top of the pan - none of this ever sticks enough to be a problem (in fact it will usually push straight off under running water) and as none of the sponge ever sticks to the inside of the pan, all it ever needs is a rinse really.

I paid $33 for this train cake pan and think that was money well spent. It’s a high quality product that has had plenty of use already, and I envisage it will be used lots of times in the future.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5328031570820431/k2311a0328/3.28.12