21 Jump Street starring Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill (2012 Movie)  » Movies  »
  • I was really impressed with Dave Franco's performance as the popular kid at the new high school - I'm not usually his biggest fan, but I think he proves that he has something worth watching, although I was at times reminded of his brother
  • While Tatum and Hill are definitely the stars, there is a great supporting cast who make the movie a lot more fun
  • It's interesting to see how the characters deal with the changes
  • Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the new 21 Jump Street
  • I would recommend others come into it with an open mind if they're skeptical of this remake because it is one of the better remakes I've seen

• by Melanie Noell

This updated version of the television classic that starred Johnny Depp has been highly anticipated, and it has received a lot of great reviews. This comedy is funny, likable and very entertaining.

I never watched the original 21 Jump Street TV series, and when I heard they were making a movie, I kind of rolled my eyes. Are they seriously going to go through and remake everything that has ever been successful? Well, about 15 minutes into the movie, they address that same concern in a joke, which really put my mind at ease that the movie wasn’t taking itself too seriously.

Rather than

a strict remake, 21 Jump Street is more of a continuation of the series twenty years later. They don’t try and relive the exact same moments of the show (although I admit, I didn’t watch the series.) Instead, they use modern elements to make it relatable to today’s audience, and they don’t try to force their characters to be their predecessors.

I was really impressed with Dave Franco’s performance as the popular kid at the new high school - I’m not usually his biggest fan, but I think he proves that he has something worth watching, although I was at times reminded ...

• of his brother. And he’s not the only supporting actor that really brings a sense of completeness (and hilarity) to this comedy. While Tatum and Hill are definitely the stars, there is a great supporting cast who make the movie a lot more fun. There is also a very comical bad guy that you’ll have to see to appreciate.

The movie really rests on its comedy. There are some brilliantly funny moments, and the overall movie itself is just a good time. It’s secondary strength is that it’s a very relatable idea: what would it be like to return to high school and

live it over again? It’s interesting to see how the characters deal with the changes. The only thing that didn’t really impress too much was the action scenes. I won’t say they’re unbelievable, they’re just not the movie’s strong point - more like necessary scenes to pump up the dialogue and gags.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the new 21 Jump Street. I would recommend others come into it with an open mind if they’re skeptical of this remake because it is one of the better remakes I’ve seen. Which is saying a lot considering all the recycled garbage that has been on the screen lately.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1128031570700331/k2311a0328/3.28.12