American Psycho (2000 movie)  » Movies  »
  • So, I decided to watch the movie as a way to introduce myself to the character, in order to understand what I was reading about

• by Eliza26

“American Psycho” was one of those films that everyone else had seen except for me, but that I still didn’t intend to watch. The theme, the cult movie status and the lead actor, Christian Bale, didn’t appeal to me.

What made me change my mind was starting to read a book called “Lunar Park” by Bret Easton Ellis, author of

the “American Psycho” novel. It looked like Patrick Bateman, the main character of the latter work, will be playing a considerable part in the former as well. So, I decided to watch the movie as a way to introduce myself to the character, in order to understand what I was reading about. I was far from disappointed.

“American Psycho” succeeds mainly as a character study. Christian Bale, whom I hated as Batman, is frighteningly good as the psychopathic yuppie (the action takes place in the 80s), obsessed with status and ‘fitting in’. He masterfully displays all the traits of the psychopath: extreme selfishness, lack of empathy, anger when things aren’t going his way.

This deeply disturbed character, Patrick Bateman, is a ...

• American Psycho (2000 movie)
      product of consumerism. Nothing new in this, but the satire is poignant. His main preoccupations are his appearance, restaurant reservations, pop music and killing/torturing women (or fantasising about it). He has created a social mask for himself, but his inner turmoil of anger and frustration (triggered by such things as a colleague’s nicer business card) makes it hard for
      him to keep it in place.

Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman is the driving force of “American Psycho”. I can barely remember the other characters, and the horror and thriller elements aren’t very effective, despite a good amount of violence. The ending has a nice twist, but feels muddled and hurried. Nevertheless, this is without a doubt a movie worth watching.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1121031570130431/k2311a0321/3.21.12