Herradura Anejo Tequila
  • Having never purchased a bottle of anejo tequila -I'd only had it in mixed drinks before - I decided to give it a try recently
  • Although I prefer reposado tequila, I really enjoyed this Herradura Anejo Tequila as it had a very full taste and mixed with a variety of things
  • The best thing about this tequila is how smooth it is
  • That richness is exactly what makes it so versatile in my opinion
  • Another thing I noticed is that the flavors of this tequila almost mimic a rum or whiskey - which is a result of the aging process

• by Melanie Noell

Having never purchased a bottle of anejo tequila -I’d only had it in mixed drinks before - I decided to give it a try recently. Anejos are known for richer flavors because they take the longest to age. Although I prefer reposado tequila, I really enjoyed this Herradura Anejo Tequila as it had a very full taste and mixed with a variety of things.

The bad thing about any anejo tequila is the price: This particular one normally costs $47 at our local liquor store; we were fortunate enough to get it

for $40 on sale. Herradura is actually a bit higher priced than other anejos, but because it was such a good deal, we decided to jump on it.

The best thing about this tequila is how smooth it is. There’s a nice fragrance when you open the bottle that is similar to wine, but with a bit of caramel sweetness to it. That richness is exactly what makes it so versatile in my opinion. I’ve mixed this in a citrus drinks as well as with more sugary drinks (caramel syrup from ...

• Torani and a touch of simple syrup) and you still have a great tasting drink that is distinctly tequila. Heradurra is also one of the best in terms of not burning your throat - there was a bit of heat in the back, but no stinging or bad aftertaste. Just the rich flavors of the tequila.

Another thing I noticed is that the flavors of this tequila almost mimic a rum or whiskey - which is a result of the aging process. It’s also why this tequila has the darkest coloring out

of the three. The color makes it look a bit funny when you mix it with more colorful mixers, but that’s obviously just a superficial concern. The bottle is also pretty great - a nice rectangular bottle, something like 1800 or Patron.

Overall, I really enjoyed this tequila. I still prefer reposado over anejo, but this was a great introduction to anejo tequila. It’s smooth, flavorful and can be drank alone or with mixers. It’s a definite must-try for tequila drinkers, and I would even guess rum and whiskey drinkers could find it appealing.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2721031569980331/k2311a0321/3.21.12