Chinese Garden of Friendship, Sydney, Australia  » Travel  »
Darling Harbour South End, Sydney 2000, Australia
  • It is quite a unique experience to visit Chinese Garden in Australia
  • The only possibility is because the location of the café and restrooms is near to the exit, and I think that they expect visitors to spend some time in the café after completing the journey around the garden
  • After walking around one third of the park, I found a costume hire shop
  • Unfortunately the shop is open from 12 noon to 5 pm only

• by Pusaka

It is quite a unique experience to visit Chinese Garden in Australia. I went there with my wife and my son. The admission fee was only 6 Australian dollars (less than 7 US dollars) per person.

Inside we found a large garden with a pretty large lake in the middle, rocks, a cascade, bridges, a moon-gate and many other Chinese style buildings and decorations. We arrived at 9:35 in the morning and were advised to walk clockwise around the lake.

To my mind, there

is completely no difference to walk in any direction because there is no information to be obtained sequentially. The only possibility is because the location of the café and restrooms is near to the exit, and I think that they expect visitors to spend some time in the café after completing the journey around the garden.

After walking around one third of the park, I found a costume hire shop. We wanted to have a picture of ourselves in Chinese royal costumes.

Unfortunately the ...

• shop is open from 12 noon to 5 pm only. Since the garden is not that big, one and a half hours is sufficient to explore it.

This means that we had to spend another full hour to wait until the shop opens. We did not do this as we had other two places to visit on that day.

I think that since the garden is open daily from 9:30 am to 5 pm, the costume hire shop should also follow this schedule. The

garden is beautiful but there is no facility (for example ramp) for the disables.

To give more impression to visitors, it is probably better for the management to provide some simple traditional performances such as Chinese wedding ceremony alternating with Chinese folksong. Compared to Chinese Garden in Singapore, I think that this one is much better in term of the beauty of the landscape.

The location of this place of interest is only 10 minutes on foot from Town Hall railway station to the west (Tumbalong Park).

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3819031569740631/k2311a0319/3.19.12