Charter Communications (Arden, North Carolina service area)  » Business  »
1.5
  • Unfortunately, my equally terrible apartment community charges tenants something like $200 to get satellite in case any holes are left in the roof
  • I had this problem with satellite when it was windy, but why is this happening with cable

• by Melanie Noell

When I first moved to Asheville, North Carolina, I typed in what cable services were in the area and what kind of high speed internet services they offered. It seemed like the only one available (other than satellite services) was Charter Communications - whom I’d never heard of. I was weary when I called and the man on the other end basically tried to harass me into getting service right then and there (even though I told him we weren’t moved in yet,) so I had a really bad feeling about it. Unfortunately, my equally terrible apartment community charges tenants something like $200 to get satellite in case “any holes are left in the roof.” So, I was stuck with Charter.

I can’t begin to describe the problems that I have had with Charter. To start with, when hooking up the service, I was scheduled to have people here by 5pm. By 5:20 when they

weren’t here, I had to call in and ask what was up. They said the people were right on there way over. After talking to the people installing my cable, they WEREN’T on their way over. They had never scheduled a person to come out, and the men who installed my cable were just called last minute before they got off work and told they had to do another job. On top of that, the ordeal took over an hour because the company hadn’t told me anything I needed in preparation of the installation. They had to troubleshoot around parts they didn’t have and cables that were to short. I was fortunate, however, to have such great guys working, but I felt terrible they had no notice about this installation.

My next complaint would be the weird service on my cable. I have a package that has about 60 channels plus HBO and Cinemax. Oddly ...

• enough, my more basic channels (like networks and USA/TNT/TBS etc) will occasionally freeze up for a few seconds. I had this problem with satellite when it was windy, but why is this happening with cable?!

Finally, I had the biggest problem with them calling and harassing me to upgrade my service. It started with a phone call every few days and slowly progressed to 3-4 phone calls every single day between 8am and 11pm. They woke me up with the calls, never left messages and NEVER STOPPED. I had the settings changed over the internet. Still got calls. I talked to an internet chat specialist and asked when it would stop. Immediately. The next day, 3 more calls. I called and asked, and they said the same thing, but I still got calls. I reported them to the FCC, and finally, I called one more time and they told me unfortunately it takes a few

weeks to get the number out of the system. They admitted fault for the other people giving me bad information, and said they’d do their best to make the calls stop sooner. It took about 2 more weeks (probably about a month from the original request to make it stop) before it stopped, and they actually contacted me one last time, leaving a message, to ensure that the calls had stopped. So I’m a little thankful for that.

However, regardless of the slight polite gesture shown to me at the very end, this is the absolute worst service I’ve ever had. I can’t wait to cancel my service when I move out of these apartments. The channel selection is decent at best, the customer service is awful and the prices are ridiculous compared to my last two providers. The only good thing is that the internet is fast. If you can, stay away from Charter.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4116031569520631/k2311a0316/3.16.12