NordicWare Microwave Egg Boiler  » Housewares  »
  • I have a very tall and very inquisitive fourteen month old son, and after a scary near-miss recently when he almost pulled a pan of boiling water on himself I decided I wouldn't be using the cooker hob as much as my nerves simply couldn't take it
  • The second thing is slightly more dangerous in my opinion and that is the fact that the lid doesn't screw onto the base, it just sort of sits on a small ledge
  • Now I've been using it for a while and learned to avoid the steam, I'm more than happy with the NordicWare Microwave Egg Boiler

• by roundabout

I have a very tall and very inquisitive fourteen month old son, and after a scary near-miss recently when he almost pulled a pan of boiling water on himself I decided I wouldn’t be using the cooker hob as much as my nerves simply couldn’t take it.  This hasn’t been as stressful as I first thought, but it’s meant I can only have my beloved boiled eggs once baby is safely tucked up in bed - until I found the NordicWare Microwave Egg Boiler that is.

It’s a plastic dome shaped appliance, egg shaped actually, and designed to hold four eggs at a time. To use it is very simple, place your eggs on the grooves and microwave. Easy. There’s no need to pierce the eggs as with other microwave boilers, although obviously different

microwaves will cook the eggs at different times so be prepared to waste a few while getting used to the timings.

As an example, for eggs with a firm white and runny yolk my microwave takes six minutes to cook plus a standing time of two minutes. A hard boiled egg will take eight minutes to cook and a five minute standing time. As the eggs will continue to cook until the shell has been removed you need to take care with the standing time as a perfectly soft yolk can easily solidify if you leave it to stand for too long.

After cooking it’s very easy to remove the shells from the eggs, much easier than when you’ve cooked your eggs in a pan of water.

I have two complaints regarding the egg ...

• boiler, both relating to the chance of a burn whilst in use.  The first is that the entire gadget gets extremely hot after being microwaved, which seems odd to me as microwave-safe products  usually stay cool to the touch even after relatively long cooking times. The way to prevent a burn in this instance is to pick the egg boiler up using a towel and allow cold water from the tap to run over the entire thing for a couple of minutes to cool it down.

The second thing is slightly more dangerous in my opinion and that is the fact that the lid doesn’t screw onto the base, it just sort of sits on a small ledge. This is great for access, but a huge amount of steam escapes from the unsecure seam

which can (and has) resulted in a painful burn when lifting the egg boiler out of the microwave.

Now I’ve been using it for a while and learned to avoid the steam, I’m more than happy with the NordicWare Microwave Egg Boiler. It creates excellent boiled eggs with creamy yolks, is very simple to use and equally simple to clean in hot soapy water - the boiler can go in the dishwasher, but for me it doesn’t seem worth it as the only part of the egg that it’s touching is the already clean shell so a simple rinse is all it takes most of the time.

The NordicWare Microwave Egg Boiler cost me a bargain $11, which is a miniature price to pay for something that has been used practically daily since I bought it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5315031569421231/k2311a0315/3.15.12