The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
  • I think it will not be an exaggeration to say that most people have read The Lord of the Rings and those who have not have definitely heard about it and know at least a little about it
  • Usually when you read one and the same book several time, it becomes less interesting because you know all the plot and there is nothing new for you
  • I like the characters in the book very much

• by Katarina

Well, now I am going to tell my opinion on one of the most well-known books of the 20th century. I think it will not be an exaggeration to say that most people have read The Lord of the Rings and those who have not have definitely heard about it and know at least a little about it. That’s why I see no sense to retell the plot here. Moreover, I do not want to put into pair of hundreds words everything that Professor Tolkien wrote in his three books. It is simply impossible.

Instead of that, I will tell why this book means so much to me. LotR is my favorite book - that I can tell for sure and without any hesitation. I do not know how many

times I reread this book, but with each new time I feel I fell in love with it even more. Usually when you read one and the same book several time, it becomes less interesting because you know all the plot and there is nothing new for you. This is not the case. Yes, sure, I know the storyline well enough, I can even remember some of the descriptions or dialogs, but every time time I read LotR again, I discover some new details, some interesting traits in personalities of the characters that explain their behavior, some new background I never noticed before.

To my mind, this fantasy world of Middle-Earth Professor created is so much alive that it makes the reader think that even after the story told ...

• in the book is over the life in this world continues. I like the characters in the book very much. They are real, they all make mistakes and try to correct them, their personalities develop with the plot, none of them is the same at the point of the beginning of the journey and at the point of its end. When I read the book I feel as if these are living people who just live somewhere in the distant land.

LotR taught me that the most important things in the life are friendship and loyalty, that they enable people to achieve their goals together, no matter how impossible these goals look like - like Frodo and Sam’s mission to go to Mordor and destroy the Ring or

Aragorn’s life-long “journey” from the Ranger to the King. There is nothing impossible and there is always hope even in the middle of despair until there are close people near you who will never betray. I like reading about it and learning. Learning that power corrupts, that there is no evil that have always been evil, that there can be light in the darkness no matter how bad everything is, that just one small thing, one situation, one choice can change even the greatest the most epic things.

For me, The Lord of the Ring is not “just another fantasy book” that I read just to have a good time. It is much more. And there is much more behind the breathtaking adventures and great battles than meets the eye.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1714031569220331/k2311a0314/3.14.12