Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22″ LCD Monitor  » Computers  »
  • I had never had a problem with Samsung products and had recommended the company to others in the past

• by Nicholas Cohen

When I built my newest computer, I needed a monitor to go with it and decided on the Samsung SyncMaster 226BW. I wanted a decently sized monitor for the time that looked nice, was in my budget and was preferably from a company I trusted. I had never had a problem with Samsung products and had recommended the company to others in the past.

The design of the monitor is very sleek. It is mostly black, with a silver strip across the bottom where the menu buttons are located. The power button has a nice neon blue outline coming from a backlight. The backlight makes it easy to find the monitor when the room is dark. The menu buttons function properly, but they wiggle quite a bit. They are also on the bottom of the monitor, which seems

like an attempt to clean up the look of the monitor. In direct contrast, the indicators for the buttons are on the front of the monitor. Which seems like an odd design choice aesthetically.

The stand for the monitor is very easy to attach. However, the connection between the stand and the monitor is very unattractive. From behind you can see a gap with the metal henge joint inside. The angle of the monitor is not easily adjustable. I have been putting old National Geographic magazines underneath the monitor to tilt it forward. This is the second most frustrating thing about this product for me. The first being, the fact that the stand itself attracts dust. It requires cleaning constantly to keep free of dust. The stand is sturdy though, made a very hard plastic.

Connecting the monitor to ...

• the computer and installing the drivers was a breeze. A single DVI cable connects to your computers graphics card and the driver software autoruns itself once you put the CD in. They have updated the software regularly and I have had absolutely no software related problems of any kind.

The screen is very clear and crisp. Friends have commented on how vibrant the colors are. I have encountered no dead pixels or any other problems relating to the screen. You can adjust brightness, contrast, width, height, tone, gamma, sharpness, transparency, etc.. There is also an auto adjust feature if you do not wish fiddle with the options your self.

About a year and a half after purchasing this monitor it began to flicker and then would not turn on at all. It was still under warranty, so I contacted

Samsung and they told me to send it to them free of charge. I got it back in a couple of weeks and it has been good as new ever since. One gripe I have is that they bent the stand somehow while they were fixing it. It now leans slightly backwards when sitting on a flat surface. Seeing as I was already using magazines to tilt it forward, I just put a few more under it and the problem was solved.

Overall, I have been happy with this monitor. I had to send it back for repairs. But, Samsung’s customer service didn’t hassle me about it and other than bending the stand slightly the monitor has worked flawlessly since. I will continue to buy Samsung products and would buy this product again if I needed a second monitor.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1914031569180331/k2311a0314/3.14.12