Doctor Who: Season 3, Episode 8: 42
  • It's for the best though as it results in one of the most exciting, gripping, and intense episodes of the show to date
  • I know I'm going into spoiler territory, but it turns out that the sun is alive
  • It did what 24 did well and I think did it even better
  • It really is amazing how intense this episode managed to be
  • I loved every second of it and I highly recommend watching it if you get the chance

• by David Finniss

The TARDIS arrives on a vessel that is badly damaged and drifting towards a nearby sun. They have only 42 minutes to get everything up and running if they want to survive.

Now, at first glance, this seems like a simple solution, just load everyone into the TARDIS and fly off. As it turns out, that’s the first thought that popped into the Doctor’s head too, but alas it isn’t an option as the heat spikes making the area where the TARDIS landed uninhabitable.

It’s for the best though as it results in one of the most exciting, gripping, and intense episodes of the show to date. Things start off bad, and they only get worse and it is magnificent.

This episode might be near perfect. I can’t find any faults whatsoever. As said before, it’s exciting and filled to the brim with tension, but there are also plenty of great character moments as well. This is augmented by the fact that pretty much everyone brings

their A-game as far as performances go.

Freyma in particular does a great job conveying the fear and sadness that Martha feels as she talks to her mother from an escape pod that is hurtling towards said sun. It was a genuinely tender moment and she sold it like gangbusters.

Tennant does a great job too. It was rather enjoyable seeing him all chipper in the first half of the episode. He was just emitting glee and you couldn’t help but smile at his antics. Later on, when things take a darker turn, he sells that too. He even gets to deliver one of the more shocking wham lines that I’ve ever come across. It’s made all the more intense by the fantastic score.

This episode really does cement the bond between both Martha and the Doctor. Any questions about his loyalty to his new companion are pushed aside. Of course, Martha shows the same loyalty to the Doctor. It was some nice craftwork, giving ...

• the Doctor a chance to save Martha and then giving her a chance to save him in return. It was realistic and not shoehorned in. It felt organic and wasn’t just putting characters in danger for the sake of doing so.

There’s also a bit of arc development as Martha’s mother is revealed to be working for the mysterious Mr. Saxon. This acts as a nice follow up to the development from last episode and it builds up the mystery and shows how much Martha’s mother distrusts the doctor.

I can’t really blame the ship captain for what she did. I know I’m going into spoiler territory, but it turns out that the sun is alive. Now, the Doctor chides them for not running scans, but really, why would they? Isn’t it safe to say that life couldn’t exist in those kinds of temperatures? I mean, a living sun isn’t exactly a common occurrence, the idea probably just never occurred to them.

Then again, considering the means of mining

they were using was illegal, maybe they did know. I’m not sure. I guess it doesn’t matter, I’m probably just over thinking it.

In any event, this episode is fantastic, absolutely fantastic. I really was amazed by how good this episode was. It did what “24″ did well and I think did it even better. That’s no easy feat either. I was literally on the edge of my seat for almost the entire runtime. It really is amazing how intense this episode managed to be.

It really is worth a watch. Even for newcomers, this is a great jumping on point as it is self contained, and even the arc stuff isn’t so overwhelming that you would be confused. If anything, it might draw you in and get you interested in the series as a whole.

This episode was a gem. Really, that’s all there is to it. I loved every second of it and I highly recommend watching it if you get the chance.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1012031568760431/k2311a0312/3.12.12