Tsukino Con  » Entertainment  »
  • Finally, this year I was able to experience my first convention on February 17th, 19th
  • And it was the best thing that I have experienced in a very long time
  • A lot of the things you can buy is lovely, handcrafted, and amazing overall
  • Sunday is the shortest day, 10am - 5pm for $8, although still has interesting panels and contests
  • Overall, as it being my first convention ever, I really enjoyed it

• by ImaginaryClover

Tsukino Con is a local Anime Convention that is held at the University of Victoria, in Victoria, British Columbia. It’s been around for years, formerly named Kei Con. Finally, this year I was able to experience my first convention on February 17th, 19th. And it was the best thing that I have experienced in a very long time.

I only went for Friday and Saturday, however it was the best time I had ever had. I was pretty unsure about the whole thing, seeing that I wasn’t really into anime or manga at all. However, the con started at 11am in the Engineering building. It was $8 for an all-day youth pass, which granted access to all panels and rooms unless stated 18+. To have the adult pass, you needed photo ID. Along with your pass, they give you a booklet that had a small description of what each panel was about and when they were. Furthermore, it had a map of the building.

The main building has several typical university classrooms, like a lecture hall, that held panels of all different sorts. Each panel taught you about different things relating to anime. From cosplaying (dressing up as a certain character) to different animes (Vocaloid, Sailor Moon, Pokemon)

and discussing certain aspects of a game (Pokemon Biology). In addition to that, there were contests going on constantly, from gaming (Halo: Reach tournament, Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournament, Tetris) to anime (bathing suit contest, cosplay contest). There was even a concert on the first day! On the first day, the con ran from 11am - 11pm, however, I was there until midnight because the Halo: Reach tournament ran a lot longer than originally planned.

The second day ran from 10am - 11pm for $12. On the second day I attended a panel about the guys at 501st Legion, guys and girls who dress up as the bad guys from Star Wars for charity. They were really nice and it was a very hands-on panel. We were able to feel their costumes and examine most of the weapon props and armour. It was a great experience because they were so nice and answered all your questions. As the day before, there were contests and panels. However, there is more since it lasts longer and more people show up. A lot of the best cosplays were seen on Saturday.

There is a second building that holds the convention too. A 2 minute walk away from the main building is ...

• the second building named Elliot on the booklet you are given. It’s a two floor building with the vast majority being vendors and artists selling clothes, paintings, jewellery, and other things. Each of the vendors are really nice and most will negotiate a good price if you have issues paying. Most have a card that you can contact if you would like to buy more from them other than the three days that the convention is open. A lot of the things you can buy is lovely, handcrafted, and amazing overall. On the second floor of the Elliot building is more rooms with more things that you can buy, a concession to buy food and drink, and a cosplay cafe. The cosplay cafe is simply people dressed in cosplay that serve you food. I spent most of my time in this building because of the vast amount of things that people were selling, and it took a very long time to be able to look at all the items.

The atmosphere of the entire convention was really great. Everyone was happy, cheery, and nice. The volunteers were very nice and helpful if you have any questions or are confused about something. They do a good job of

keeping the hallways clear of clutter and making the convention a fun and exciting place. In the booklet it has a list of 9 rules, and the last rule is, “Have Fun! If you are not having fun, tell our staff. If you are having fun, then tell all your friends! Having fun is a rule, so you better be here to have a good time! (or else!)” Which really sums up how helpful and fun they make the convention. Sunday is the shortest day, 10am - 5pm for $8, although still has interesting panels and contests.

Overall, as it being my first convention ever, I really enjoyed it. It’s a great university, and the students, volunteers, and con goers are great too. It’s a great environment for any type of person, and the things they have are interesting and you will definitely learn something you did not know before. You meet really nice people, and form great bonds with people. I loved everything about it, even though I was pretty worn out after the two out of three days that I attended. If you’re ever in the area, you should come by in February and check out the convention, it is worth it.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 598031568340231/k2311a038/3.8.12