Maglite Mini Mag AA Torch  » Electronics  »
  • I like the fact that there’s no on/off switch that might get knocked
  • There are other design features that I think are even cleverer

• by MaggiBee

I really like these little torches. They’re small enough to slip into a pocket or handbag but big enough to give out a good light. They take AA batteries, which I usually have lying around, though the battery life is good.

I keep one torch in the car in its’ original case, which also holds a spare set of batteries. I really like this because there’s nothing worse than suddenly needing a torch and finding the batteries don’t work.

The torch is well made and feels solid even though it doesn’t weigh much. It can take a few knocks (I can vouch for that!).

I like the

fact that there’s no on/off switch that might get knocked. The torch is turned on and off by twisting the head. And twisting it to different points changes the light from a wide flash light to a more focussed beam, which makes the torch more versatile to use. I have used it to light my way across fields at night and also to look for things in dark corners.

There are other design features that I think are even cleverer.

If you unscrew the flash head completely it comes off, revealing the bulb. But then you slot the torch shaft into the back of the flash ...

• head and you have a simple standing lamp. Okay, the light from this isn’t very bright, but I’ve used it in a power cut instead of a candle and it’s been okay.

I’ve also used the torch fully assembled in a power cut. The end of the shaft incorporates a screw feature to access the spare bulb, and there’s a hole through the screw part. I’ve threaded a cord through this hole and hung the torch from a hook on the wall. This way I can get the full flash light effect but keep my hands free.

Putting a spare bulb in the torch shaft is

another brilliant idea, but I have found it difficult to get the thing out. It can be quite fiddly to unfasten, and even when looking at the instruction leaflet it has taken me a while to figure out exactly how it comes apart. The replacement bulb is very small and needs fitting into two slots, which is also a bit fiddly. I’ve been okay so far, but I can see it could be easy to break a bulb while trying to replace it.

That said, I wouldn’t be without my Maglite. I now have two: one stays permanently in the car and one in the house.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 168031568290231/k2311a038/3.8.12