NordicWare Giant Cupcake Pan  » Housewares  »
  • A $40 cake pan, my 'careful' hubby was distraught when I told him but after several uses I think I've convinced him that it was worth the money - not least because it's saved us having to buy two birthday cakes so far, with another birthday (and giant cupcake) coming up next week
  • Well, maybe not quite THAT easy but definitely not the hard fiddly work you imagine it's going to be
  • The pan comes with a recipe for a light vanilla sponge, it's a delicious recipe but as I've grown more confident with the pan I've adapted it to create chocolate and fruit cupcakes

• by roundabout

A $40 cake pan, my ‘careful’ hubby was distraught when I told him but after several uses I think I’ve convinced him that it was worth the money - not least because it’s saved us having to buy two birthday cakes so far, with another birthday (and giant cupcake) coming up next week.

This is a clever pan which allows you to bake a 20cm tall cupcake in two halves.  After baking you put the halves together and decorate - easy peasy. Well, maybe not quite THAT easy but definitely not the hard fiddly work you imagine it’s going to be. The pan comes with

a recipe for a light vanilla sponge, it’s a delicious recipe but as I’ve grown more confident with the pan I’ve adapted it to create chocolate and fruit cupcakes.

The pan itself is made from a heavy cast aluminum which promotes even and speedy baking, it’s heavy even before you’ve filled it with cake mixture and the irregular shape makes it feel unbalanced when you pick it up - this is particularly felt when lifting the pan out of the oven so watch you don’t burn yourself (or drop the cake!).  The pan is fairly non-stick in its own right, I always grease it thoroughly ...

• before pouring in the cake mixture and then it’s a simple case of turning the pan over and tapping the bottom to release the cake. I forgot to grease it once and although the cake slid out easily enough, the finish wasn’t quite so perfect on the top portion of the cupcake.

To assemble the giant cupcake you simply sandwich the base and top portions together, using either jam or a buttercream filling - or both if you have a really sweet tooth!  The base is quite stunted in height which makes the naked sponge cupcake look a little unbalanced, as soon as you’ve iced it

though the appearance changes for the better and you can watch it starting to take shape as you decorate.

The aluminum pan gives you a light and fluffy finish to the cake, the fact that the base section of the cake has a gap at the bottom allows the air to circulate during cooking and this ensures even baking.  My only niggle is the small amount of trimming you have to do to make sure the two pieces of the cake fit flush together; this took a bit of getting used to, but it’s worth persevering with as a wonky join will make the finished cake look lopsided.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 537031568270331/k2311a037/3.7.12