Ike’s Cafe  » Restaurants  »
1961 East Mall (Irving K. Barber Learning Centre, South Wing, Second Floor, Vancouver, BC
  • I love it because it's convenient and serves decent food and coffee, but I really hate it because I usually have class on the other side of a wall shared with the cafe, and all I can here is the milk steamer at work
  • It's really convenient for a quick coffee or a snack
  • I really love that the cookies are not monstrous, as odd as that might sound

• by gallopmonkey

I must admit that I have a love/hate relationship with Ike’s. I love it because it’s convenient and serves decent food and coffee, but I really hate it because I usually have class on the other side of a wall shared with the cafe, and all I can here is the milk steamer at work!

This place has a great location, at least for me. All my classes and my faculty are located in the Learning Centre, so once I get up to the University of British Columbia, I basically have no reason to leave the building. It’s really convenient for a quick coffee or a snack. The coffee is decent - nothing

to write home about, but it’s nothing awful, either. The service is ok, but as there’s only one guy working on the coffees, it can get a bit slow at peak times which is a bit annoying. The lunch food is also quite decent; I recently had a rice bowl that was quite tasty and filling. It was fairly good value for the price, considering students are a captive audience and Ike’s can charge whatever they like, essentially.

I really love that the cookies are not monstrous, as odd as that might sound. They make a nice accompaniment to coffee and don’t spoil your lunch if you’re having something mid morning.

The one that ...

• seriously drives me crazy about Ike’s is the way they display their menu. It is absolutely the dumbest, most annoying thing that I’ve ever seen. Instead of having it all posted on a board, they display it on a TV screen that hangs from the ceiling. That in and of itself might not be so bad, but because they have a lot to offer, it can’t be shown on one screen at the same time, and so the menu is split. I inevitably end up looking at the wrong part of the menu and have to wait for it to change, by which time I’ve decided that I’d like something from
        page 1 and have to wait again. Super annoying. It would be just so much easier if they’d write it out on a chalkboard like every other normal cafe instead of trying to be all technical and keeping with the ethos of the Learning Centre.

The food’s fine, the coffee’s good, but the menu drives me up the wall. I hate it every time I go there, although I’ll return, since I’m lazy and don’t really have a choice. I must say that they do have a nice play to sit if you can get a seat, as it’s quite sunny in the afternoons, although of course it does get a bit crowded.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 77031568240331/k2311a037/3.7.12