VirtualBox 4.1.8 Virtualization Software  » Software  »
www.virtualbox.org
  • I have VirtualBox installed on an i7 2.2GHz, 4GB of RAM and Windows 7 64-bit machine and my experience has been great

• by protoboard

Virtualization software makes possible to try and run a guest operating system onto a machine, the host, with another operating system. This technique is widely being used by people and enterprises all over the world. There are many virtualization solutions; some costs high amounts of money and some other are free. One of those free options is Oracle VM VirtualBox, or just VirtualBox. I’ve been using this software for a long time now, way before Oracle bought Sun Microsystems. The latest version is 4.1.8 and is the one I’m currently using. I have VirtualBox installed on an i7 2.2GHz, 4GB of RAM and Windows 7 64-bit machine and my experience has been great. Nevertheless

I’ve tried VirtualBox on machines with lesser specs and the results have also been good.

On my experience I have seen that guest machines run very fast, just like they would do running on real hardware. I’ve installed Windows XP and many Linux distributions and all run just fine. Also when using a Win XP virtual machine with 1 GB of RAM assigned to it I don’t see the host computer suffer or slow down.

A nice feature of VirtualBox is that guest machines can have access to anything that is plugged into a USB port of the host machine. That means from a guest operating system you can access an USB pendrive if you need ...

• to, or a printer or scanner or any other device. I have used this feature to use a USB PIC microcontroller programmer that doesn’t work on Windows 7 but does work on Windows XP so I can program PIC microcontrollers from within a Win XP guest box. This feature didn’t work well for me on other earlier versions but have not experience any trouble on 4.1.8.

Another strength of VirtualBox is its networking options. It allows guest machines to use up to four virtual network interfaces and those interfaces can be configured to be bridged to a physical network card. That’s great because by using that configuration you can give your guest machines the capability

of view your local area network. This is great since it has allowed me to install firewall distributions (IPCop and PFSense) on computers that only have one network card and from it control multiple networks. VirtualBox also has some add-ons that let guest machines interact with the host in a more direct way (not just through the network). This are called “Guest Additions” but are not available for all operating systems. If you are installing Windows XP on a guest machine by installing the guest additions you can easily share files between the guest and host machines.

There are many virtualization options but I don’t see changing my VirtualBox virtual machines for any other software.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 307031568110331/k2311a037/3.7.12