Adelaide Spa at Royal Crown Plaza in Asheville North Carolina  » Business  »
1.5
27 Resort Dr  Asheville, NC 28806
  • We got the Simply Spa package which cost $65 each on Groupon, apparently regularly $135
  • I've found hot stone massages for as little as $60-$70 regularly, so I wasn't overly impressed
  • The Groupon price even left me slightly disappointed because there were several spots on my back that I had really wanted to feel better, and when I left, they were only slightly less painful than before
  • They also tried to sell us some of the products they used, which I bought the eye mask because mine was getting old
  • And as nice and friendly and awesome as our masseuses were, I think they're better suited to relaxation massages as opposed to more deep tissue massages

• by Melanie Noell

I purchased two Groupons to go to Adelaide Spa as a (belated) Valentine’s Day couple’s activity for my boyfriend and I. We got the Simply Spa package which cost $65 each on Groupon, apparently regularly $135. The treatment which lasted a little over an hour was hardly worth the money, and I’m very glad that we didn’t spend the full amount at this place.

The positives about Adelaide Spa is the friendly staff and the beautiful space. The receptionist was very sweet and very helpful, and our two masseuses were absolutely the nicest people I’ve ever met. They would frequently ask us if they were using the right amount of pressure, if the stones were too hot; in general, they were just very nice. They showed us around, showed us where the sauna was, and stored our clothes in the office. The space is also very beautiful once you’re in the spa area, although the reception is a bit odd as it is connected to the fitness center

and the large windows let you see out into the parking lot. However, once you’re in the actual spa, the atmosphere is relaxing, there’s tea and cucumber water, snacks, books to read, and just an overall fantastic ambiance.

The massages themselves were OK. For a package that was supposed to cost $135, they were terrible, but for $65, it wasn’t bad. I have a very bad back, so I always request as much pressure as possible, and although my masseuse put a lot of effort in, she just didn’t really have the strength to rub out some of the knots in my back. The package included a scalp treatment, which was a really nice addition although it leaves your hair greasy from all the oil they put in there, and hot stone treatments. I’ve found hot stone massages for as little as $60-$70 regularly, so I wasn’t overly impressed. They did however use hot towels to massage through, which I’ve never experienced. It’s quite clever, and does help ...

• ease muscle tension.

There was a variety of music playing, from classical to oriental instrumental, all of which was relaxing. The masseuses were sensitive to our temperature needs which is always nice. However, even including the short amount of time we spent in the sauna (and really, how long can you spend in a sauna without feeling lightheaded?) it really was not worth the actual price. The Groupon price even left me slightly disappointed because there were several spots on my back that I had really wanted to feel better, and when I left, they were only slightly less painful than before.

When we left, they gave us a one-day pass to the fitness center as well as a 20% off coupon for our next treatment. They also tried to sell us some of the products they used, which I bought the eye mask because mine was getting old. I’ve never had a spa try to sell me stuff like that before, maybe because I typically go to places

that are strictly for massage and not a bunch of different wellness treatments. We also found out that the Groupon was totally misleading. It said that gratuities were included, but extra was appreciated. When I pointed it out to the receptionist, she said that was very misleading, which was a bit annoying since it is clearly the fault of the company who worked out the Groupon. I don’t normally carry cash, so we ended up giving them $20 tip for both of us because we were totally unprepared for being told the tip wasn’t included.

Overall, this wasn’t a very good experience. It wasn’t terrible considering we didn’t pay full price, but I would never recommend this to anyone at the totally unreasonable price of $135. And as nice and friendly and awesome as our masseuses were, I think they’re better suited to relaxation massages as opposed to more deep tissue massages. Make sure you ask the receptionist when you make the appointment to have a masseuse that uses firmer pressure!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 416031567930331/k2311a036/3.6.12