CrunchBang Linux  » Software  »
crunchbanglinux.org
  • I found this to be a great way to configure the system and tweak things a little to fit even more my needs
  • I like the fact that is really lightweight, it only uses about 60MB of RAM, and comes bundled with a nice set of applications

• by protoboard

I was looking for a Linux Distribution I could set up as my main programming environment. I didn’t needed anything fancy as I’m just working with C++. I searched for minimalistic distributions and found CrunchBang (also known as #!), wich comes with Openbox as window manager, which is really light and very customizable, and is based on Debian. Personally I have never used Debian by have been using Devian derivatives from a long time now, since 2001 when I first tried Knoppix and since 2004 when I installed the first Ubuntu release, so I find myself pretty comfortable on Debian-based systems. This particular distribution is based on Debian 6.0. I downloaded CrunchBang 10 Statler (20111125), copy the iso image onto an USB drive and boot from it to

try the distro in live mode. I was really pleased with what I found. The OpenBox theme is really clean, by default it only has one top panel with two virtual desktops and a tray area. It also comes with Conky, a system monitor that shows the status of the processor, the RAM memory being used as well as the space left on the hard drive. One thing to notices is that on live mode CrunchBang 10 only consumes 90MB of RAM. It comes with a nice selection of programs:

Web browser: Iceweasel 8.0 (the debian’s version of Mozilla Firefox) Media player: VLC 1.1.3 Graphics / Imaging: Gimp: 2.6.2 Office: Abiword, Gnumeric Text Editor / IDE: Geany 0.20

After an hour or so using CrunchBang live I realized it ...

• was just what I needed, it was lightweight, I do like OpenBox, it has a decent IDE and came bundled with the build-essential package which pretty much is what I needed to program so It was time to install the thing to my hard drive. From the live session I wasn’t able to find any install button so I restarted the computer and on the boot prompt I opted for the graphical install which is pretty straight forward and after a few questions the system is installed.

One of the nicest thing is that once installed CrunchBang runs a post-installation script that helps the user tune up some things. The script runs on a terminal but still is really easy to follow. This script gives the user the option

to install the java runtime, the office suite LibreOffice and install a printer among other things. I found this to be a great way to configure the system and tweak things a little to fit even more my needs.

I’m really enjoying CrunchBang 10, it’s really easy to use and it’s a really lightweight system. As it is very minimalistic it does not comes with graphic interfaces to configure the system so it isn’t suited for new Linux users. That doesn’t means that you need to be a guru to use it, I’m sure I’m not but I really enjoying the ride.

Pros: I like the fact that is really lightweight, it only uses about 60MB of RAM, and comes bundled with a nice set of applications.

Cons: It doesn’t have GUI interfaces to configure the system.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 302031567380331/k2311a032/3.2.12