Broadway Dance Center in New York City  » Business  »
322 West 45th Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY
  • I wasn't a fan of the teacher, but I was definitely impressed by the studio
  • They do have card packages available that cuts the cost per class, but they really get you with strictly enforced expiration dates and a treat like cash policy
  • So, for those of you who would like to give BDC a try, I highly recommend it

• by dancey2k7

I first made my way to Broadway Dance Center to take a dance class when I was around 18 years old. I lived about an hour and a half train ride away, but after looking at the website, it seemed like the studio had a lot to offer, along with many different classes I’d be interested in taking. I also liked that it was a drop-in schedule, meaning there is no commitment. I can come, pay per class and take class when it fits my schedule. My first class I took there was with David Howard, advanced beginning ballet. I wasn’t a fan of the teacher, but I was definitely impressed by the studio.

BDC is super easy to get to. For someone who travels double the amount of the time to get there than the length of the actual class, that’s important to me. I arrived into Penn Station and then just took the subway 1 stop on the uptown A,C or E train. Exit at the 44th street and 8th avenue exit and BAM you’re a block away! When you first walk in, the people sitting at the front desk to greet you are extremely warm and friendly, making sure to greet everyone who walks through the door or off

the elevator. They have 6 different TV screens in the waiting room, each one showing what’s going on in one of the studios, and the 6th one showing a movie or TV show.

I registered for my BDC Clubcard (which is required to take class, but relatively painless and FREE) and took class. Like I said, I wasn’t really impressed with the teacher but I wanted to keep coming to the studio, and so I did. Every week I traveled a total of 3 hours to come take an hour and a half class at Broadway Dance Center.

At $18 per class (plus a train ticket for me) you can imagine this became relatively expensive for me. So, I applied for the work/study program. I moved to the city, and 3 years later, I’m still a work/study student there!

Here are the great things about BDC: big, beautiful studios, LOTS of variety in classes, amazing teachers (my favorites are Dorit Koppel and Natalya Stavro (ballet), Ginger Cox and Michelle Barber (contemporary/jazz), Chio (hiphop/funk) and Sally Mae Dunn (stretch), and the variety of options they have for people with all different types of needs. For example, their work/study program encompasses a wide range of positions and is designed to be able to include as ...

• many dedicated people as possible in many different areas of studio operations. Another example, their group services department is great because they not only offer private classes at BDC, but they can also arrange to set up private workshops at your home studio as well. A third example is their education department. They have an International-Student Visa Program and a Professional Semester program where these students are required to take 12 classes per week and receive added bonuses for a flat tuition rate. People come from all over the world to enroll in these programs.

Being at BDC for so long, I can pinpoint some things that may not be so favorable too. First off, the prices of the classes are probably one of the highest in the city. At $18 per class (compared to Steps NYC $16 and Peridance $16 and DNA $15), it can get expensive. They do have card packages available that cuts the cost per class, but they really get you with strictly enforced expiration dates and a “treat like cash” policy. From the dancer’s perspective, the atmosphere is a tad bit commercial and competitive. I was really intimidated when I first started dancing there, because I came from growing up at my high school studio, where everyone knew

eachother and the teachers knew your name and corrected you individually. Here though, especially if you’re new, you won’t know anyone and the teachers most likely won’t even look your way. When I say “commercial” I mean the hiphop classes there are HUGE. In fact,they often close out way before the class even starts. Sometimes they try to overbook classes, to the point where it’s so crowded I dont know how anyone can even dance with so many people. However, I really try to stay away from those classes, I usually take my hip hop classes in the mornings or afternoons, when they’re not crowded at all, and don’t get closed out.

So, for those of you who would like to give BDC a try, I highly recommend it. You’ll find your way into the groove of things, and eventually start to block other people out. I used to worry about what other people were thinking of me while I was dancing, and now I just don’t care. I go to class to work and improve, and that’s what it should be. Overall, I love BDC. I’ve been work/studying there for 3 years now and frequenting the same classes so teachers know me, and I don’t feel intimidated or alone anymore :)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 412031567360331/k2311a032/3.2.12