The Real Ghostbusters: Season 1, Episode 44: The Thing in Mrs. Faversham’s Attic  » TV  »
  • In terms of banter, this episode is the best that we've seen in a while
  • The villain goes unnamed here, but I think that it makes the creature scarier in a way
  • If ever there was a new Ghostbusters series made, I would hope that it would take its cue from episodes like this because they really are amazing

• by David Finniss

Once again, Stracyzinski delivers another gem of an episode. The plot is fairly straight forward as the team is hired by a nice old lady to purge her attic of a malevolent spirit, but the end result still ends up being something special.

In terms of banter, this episode is the best that we’ve seen in a while. Both Egon and Venkman are in rare form and deliver several clever lines that managed to make me laugh out loud. Heck, even the incorporation of Slimer didn’t really tick me off. Yeah, he’s annoying, but at least we get some awesome lines from Venkman as a result. Honestly, the only good that comes from the presence of that spud is seeing Peter rag on him, and he does so gloriously here.

In fact, Peter gets to shine as a whole. When the old lady tells them that she doesn’t have any

money, Peter tells her that they’ll waive the fee if she smiles. Keep in mind, Venkman’s always been the one to lament when they have to do a job for no money, so this comes as a surprise not just to the viewers, but to the other Ghostbusters as well. He gets another heartwarming moment at the end to top it all off and bookend the episode in moments of “d’aww”. It really tugs on the heartstrings and makes the episode that much more memorable.

The villain goes unnamed here, but I think that it makes the creature scarier in a way. All we know is that the old lady’s dad tried to use dark forces to make a better life for her when she was a child and that he banished it in the attic when he found out that he was in over his head. Considering the wide ...

• range of mythologies that have come into play, that thing could’ve been just about anything. While I do enjoy getting names and backstories to the enemies that the Ghostbusters face, this gave us all the backstory that was necessary to enjoy the episode. In any event, the creature still manages to be extremely creepy.

The monologue that the monster delives at the end to a dressed up Slimer managed to send chills up my spine. I don’t know if it was intentional on Straczynski’s part, but it reminded me of “I have no mouth, and I must scream”, particularly that line about everything in the attic being covered with the word “hate” written on it. I can’t blame Slimer for being as freaked out by it as he was, even I was spooked and I was watching it in cartoon form.

As menacing as the monster was, it

does lose points for being something of a doofus. How could it not tell that it wasn’t the guy he was looking for? Slimer has no legs! Not to mention the fact that he’s green and speaks gibberish. The monster figures it out, eventually, but he still should’ve been quicker on the uptake.

Despite a quibble here and there, episodes like this are prime examples of why the show is as well remembered and beloved to this day as it is. Straczynski made an effort to break the animation age ghetto and make a show that appealed to kids and adults alike. While executives still didn’t buy the idea, I think it’s been shown that it can be done and done very well. If ever there was a new Ghostbusters series made, I would hope that it would take its cue from episodes like this because they really are amazing.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101031567110331/k2311a031/3.1.12